Auto audio

Hello AudiogoNers,

I know this isn't a topic often addressed here, but I would like some recommendations about a head unit for my car. Shopping at the usual suspects I find that not one of them talks about the sound quality of their gear but rather whether there's an I-Pod jack and if it's Bluetooth compatible. I've had a Nakamichi for a couple of years, but the transport is getting weak and I'm looking to replace it. Are there any choices besides Nakamichi and McIntosh for those who want good sound in their cars?
128x128macdonj
Gordon Holt said it right 30 years ago, "Quality audio in a car is like Arpege in a glue factory."
Ebm,

I pulled the trigger and the Pioneer DEH 80PRS was delivered and may get installed this weekend. I'll post some impressions here when the install is finished.

Ohlala, I thought about just buying another Nakamichi, but they don't offer the model CD500 anymore (on-board DSP), and I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of durability of the CD400 I have, so I decided to try a different route.

Stringreen & Jperry, While I agree that I won't get audiophile sound in my car, I've heard awful sound in most cars and I don't want that, either. Hence the search for good mobile audio.