Phono preamp or cartridge - which to upgrae first

Hello,

I am currently considering upgrading my analog system and would appreciat your advice on what my next move should be.

My front-end system currently consists of
Galibier Gavia, Triplanar arm and Dyna 17D3 cartridge which runs through a Modwright 9.0 SWLP preamp w. phono stage. Music is mainly rock, jazz, blues - very little classical music.
I am quite happy with my set-up but am interested to improve it to get more detail and spatial information as well as maybe a tad warmer, more emotionally involving sound (I believe the Modwright can sound a bit solid-statish at times). I like dynamic, transparent sound with good wxtension to both frequency extremes, but not strident; tonally neutral but if necessary erring a bit to the warm side than analytical.

Initally I was thinking of getting a better cartridge but am hesitatant because I am not sure how much of its qualities I will be able to hear through the Modwright. Maybe it is a better idea to get a really good phonostage first as a system anchor? If so, my preference would be to combine phonostage and preamp into one box (maybe with seperate power supply) rather than seperate components to save money and space (such as a Coincident phonostage?).

Any advice on how to proceed and specific suggestions is greaty welcome.

Gemini
gemini05
I know your phono stage and cartridge well. The Modwright is an excellent unit which can easily accommodate a better cartridge. The Dyna XV1S is great. At lesser cost the Ortofon Windfeld which I own or the Cadenza Black are both excellent.

I own the Herron VTPH2 and I love it but IMHO you will get more from a cartridge upgrade.
If you are looking to upgrade your phono stage check out the Zesto Audio Andros. I liked it very much. Very much. To upgrade your cartridge the Transfiguration would be a great step up.
Thank you for your additional input. In the meantime I decided to follow Teeshot's advice - at least partly. I could get a good deal on a new Transfiguration Proteus and decided to order it. Recent reviews and reports on it are very promising and pricing was less than a Dynavector XV-1s (and to tell the truth I was a bit afraid of the Dynavector's long exposed stylus). It is the first time I use such a still quite expensive cartridge so I am very excitedly waiting for its delivery which hopefully will be in 3 weeks or so.

So I think the sensible thing to do is wait and see/hear how it will integrate into my system (even though I am still thinking on a new phono preamp particularly as there may be a possiblity for me to get a good used Coincident phono which is rarely offered). Regarding the Andros, I read some reports that it sounds a bit analytical. I would appreciate to hear more about this.
Congrats on your Proteus, its a great cart and one that IMHO warrants a better phono stage. It never ends this merry go round...nor should it.
Cheers
Pradeep