Help for a vinyl novice

Hello,

I've swam about in hi-end audio for over a decade now, but only in the digital world. I've had plenty of experience with tubes, ss, planars, drivers, etc. However, i'm making the plunge into the deeper waters of vinyl. Whenever I see a good, "entry-level" tt for sale, I immediately start researching it here and elsewhere online. And, of course, there are as many good reviews as there are detractors and I end up with cold feet.

Could someone point me to a solid tt under $1K, including arm and cartridge? I'm not averse to upgrading either at a later date and feel comfortable enough to undertake such an upgrade as needed, though not immediately.

I have a pair of Reference 3A de Capo i's being powered by an LSA Statement integrated with an MM phono input. My listening room is small - 10'W x 12'L x 7'H - and I have an 8" Velodyne sub lurking in the corner.

Maybe take a look at what's being offered now and advise? or advise what to look for in future listings?

Thank you much,

Simao
128x128simao
Hi Simao,

I was in your position only a few months ago. Here's the thread I started:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1388455928&&&/Turntable-suggestion-budget-or-not-

My suggestion:
Linn LP12
Technics 1200Mk2
VPI Traveler

For Pre (you don't need one, but for reference):
Cambridge 651p
Musical Fidelity V-LPS
Jolida JD9
Musical Surrounds Phonomena II

I ended up (much to my surprise) with a Technics. For about $500 used you can get a very good TT provided it's not DJ'ed. I'll eventually upgrade, but for right now, entry level, I don't think you can go wrong.
hi all,

your advice is awesome - as is all your backing information. I'm still weighing and waffling - but thanks also for the feedback. Please keep it coming? I'll post when I settle on one. And where I live it's hard to audition a specific tt; plus, I'd like to do it through my own system rather than a dealer's.
ditto the Technics 1200 with upgrades and damping. It is not a bad place to start and you will not spend more money until you know something else is better - it is that good.
The Clearaudio Concept that is on sale by me (another analog novice), is a great choice. I thoroughly enjoyed this table, its almost plug and play.
I think what you really need to do intially is to set a budget for a TT/cartridge combo. Since you do not have a MC stage exclude the likes of any Dynavector (ie 10x5 that was mentioned earlier) I am not a used junkie for TT's myself unless it is something special like an LP-12 (expensive mind you) or a more cost efficient rig like a Thorens TD-160 which I believe is far superior to any of the Japanese made units made in the 70's. Also the auto return features are also not so important in my view because in many instances the auto features malfunction and without it working properly the whole operation of the TT is compromised. Do you have a set budget? The Music Hall that Chayro mentioned is very good rigbut from what I hear adjusting the VTA is a pain. VTA adjustment I find is very important!!! Also stick with Belt Drive.