Simaudio MOON LP5.3 RS or 300LP?

This isn't really a question I'm asking - more a point of interest.

I just purchased the 5.3RS and in the manual there's some blurb about the RS designation means a higher grade of PCB and capacitors are used.

To my surprise, on reading the review of the 310LP the exact same phrase was used - suggesting that was why the new model was introduced.

Pics of the internals also look identical

Now I'm not saying they are the same electronics, but is seems it might be possible?

Now the kicker - the MSRP for the 310LP is around $1800
The 5.3RS ? - I got it for $1350 !

Just in case fellow members are looking in that direction :-)

It sounds real nice as well, especially with a quality power cord - probably don't need the seperate power supply that they promote.

Back to the tunes :-)
williewonka
Well, I bought some 0.1% resistors and changed the loading to 400 Ohms on the AudiaFlight. I can now appreciate the unit, and at this stage I think it is faster, and has better resolution than the SimAudio. Now that the tone and the bass is sorted, it is just beautiful to listen to.
My only question is what were they thinking when they designed the loading options 7, 9, 10, 23, 30, 90, 100, 980 Ohm only!! 5 options between 7 and 30 Ohms, and then in the critical zone between 100 and 1000 Ohms only 2 options. The change in loading has transformed the sound, now to try some other values! I think I will be able to tailor the sound to my exact preference.
You may want to try the Simaudio Evolution 610 lp phono stage. That was the ticket for me to vinyl enjoyment.
Since my last post I've added a braided power cable of my own design using Furutech conductors and Sonar Quest silver plated copper IEC/mains connectors.

On the signal side I've replaced the Eichman Silver Bullet RCA's with KLE Innovations Silver Harmony RCA'a on my Stager Silver Solids interconnects - a significant upgrade

The LP 5.3 RS is now performing extremely well - way above it's original levels.

It is much more dynamic, detailed, spacious with a bass responce that goes very deep while maintaining amazing control with textures never before heard in bass lines. And that's without the external power supply!

I would definately rate it as "Best Bang for the Buck"

Regards
Moonguy, you might be right!! I have gone back to the 5.3RS, just more musical than the AudiaFlight, I can now hear clearly when the clarinet takes over from the flute in Rach 2. The AudiaFlight is just too screechy to pick the tonal differences! I have tried everything to get the Flight to sound right, and just can't seem to win. What are the differences in sound lp310/5.3RS vs the lp610? I think I really stumbled on a winner, by chance, with the 5.3, unfortunately I will not be able to audition the 610 in my system, so will have to buy unheard, so perhaps if you have listened to the lesser models you can let me know what the improvements are.
I own a the LP5.3 and I regard it as an essentially transparent device. More often than not, a flaw in the sound can be traced back to the support/turntable/arm/cartridge which precede it.

I'm glad I bought it.