VPI Direct Drive Turntable

I received a copy of the new Music Direct catalog today and saw the new VPI Classic Direct Drive turntable listed at $30,000. It looks virtually indistinguishable from the Classic 3 with the new 3-D tonearm save for three speed buttons in place of the pulley and the rubber belt. The description on the MD website is rather scant, and certainly does not give enough information to explain what makes this turntable $25K more expensive than the belt drive Classic line. The VPI website makes no mention of the new flagship product at all.

Does anyone have any information on this new megabuck VPI table?
actusreus
Dear friends: The price on audio items is probably the main marketing tool for success.

On the VPI, do you think that if the unit came with a 5k tag instead of 30K Sutteat or gentleamns like him even turn around his face to " see " it?, certainly not VPI is a clever company and knows perfectly what they want it even if the item can't " honor " those 30K dollars.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dreadhead, I understand that you think $30k for a turntable is outrageous (as do I), but I think you're failing to realize that this is all relative. By looking at your system, I wouldn't say yours is very "modest." So who are you to say that someone who spends $30k on a turntable should be considering "how the other half lives", when the cost of your system could probably feed 20 people for an entire year in a poor country? I'm sorry, but I just find it offensive that you try to attach a double standard here, when in fact any money that any of us spend on this hobby is all for luxury. We all know that.

I'm not trying to say that I think $30k is a "value" for the VPI Classic DD. But if you really think about it, how can any of this stuff have "value" to a starving family, since you seem to want to make that comparison?
Rauliruegas,
I am not a scientist so no "tests" we're performed on my end to back up my above statement. If you can please turn to page 30 of your current issue of Audio Advisor, paragraph five, and I quote,
"the best-sounding turntables are belt-driven with and elastic belt between the motor pulley and the platter". Also stated in What To Look For: on the same page,
Belt-drive System,
Belt-drive turntables sound quieter and smoother because motor vibrations are decoupled from the tone arm/platter assembly.
I thought everyone knew this.
You can Consult With An Expert! By calling the toll free number provided and hopefully they can help you better understand " the foundations of my statements".
Thanks. Rick
Dear Raul, I have a Classic 3 with SDS in my system!
Why would you think that I would not pay attention to $5000?
Micro Seiki SX-777Air does not cost much more than that either. Let just leave our spending habit alone as you obviously know nothing much about my personal life so why don't you just stick to what you know instead? Those, I certainly can appreciate more and find helpful from time to time.