VPI Direct Drive Turntable

I received a copy of the new Music Direct catalog today and saw the new VPI Classic Direct Drive turntable listed at $30,000. It looks virtually indistinguishable from the Classic 3 with the new 3-D tonearm save for three speed buttons in place of the pulley and the rubber belt. The description on the MD website is rather scant, and certainly does not give enough information to explain what makes this turntable $25K more expensive than the belt drive Classic line. The VPI website makes no mention of the new flagship product at all.

Does anyone have any information on this new megabuck VPI table?
actusreus
I remember when I first heard a belt drive turntable. I thought my Denon DP-72 was the shit. The rosewood vernier matched my Tandberg TR2080 and with my high end moving magnet cartridge I was a happy camper. Then one day I checked out a Thorens. It's was silver and black and the sound was perfect to me. I never looked back at direct drive since.
Years later someone came up with the idea of separating the motor from the plinth. Less noise and vibration to interfere with the platter. Makes perfect sense to me. So not only do my ears hear a difference but marketing campaigns assure me this is the ultimate in turntable design.
Now we are at present time and not only have these same companies put the motor BACK on the plinth they market it as improvement in sound. Huh? Which brings me to the subject at hand. An almost $30,000 direct drive with an onboard submarine motor. This is a free market and you are allowed to sell whatever you want in this great country but if anyone buys this monstrosity I would be very surprised and would gladly nominate that person for Knuckle Head of the Year award. Thanks for listening.
Harry is all about marketing and the dollars it will bring. Sound is really secondary. Plan on a return to belt driven TT's in the near future from Harry. Don't get me wrong, Harry makes some great products, they are just not good values.
It's kind of fun to watch both the VPI tour video by Fremer on AnalogPlanet and the factory tour of SME Ltd., parts 1-3, on YouTube. I wish there were more of these factory tour videos. They are pretty informative.
C'mon folks. All these table-unheard pronouncements? "Knuckle Head of the Year" by someone who hasn't heard the turntable?

Let's get some more actual listening impressions. Kekohler, thanks for posting your experience.
I don't need to audition a $30,000 direct drive turntable made with a submarine motor to call someone a knuckle head. I remember when you could buy a ranch house for that kind of money. I stand by my statement. I don't care how good the deck sounds. If you have the funds to make such a purchase and you even consider it I suggest you reexamine your priorities. Harry needs to be reminded that people are going hungry in this country and this is an insult to the people struggling to make ends meet. The 1% are starting to wear thin in this country and I for one are embarrassed for them, certainly not envious.