Sony HAP-Z1ES Hi-Res Music Player RMAF 2013

Did anyone get a chance to hear this digital player. Seems similar to the Bryston BDP-2. I am very interested in how the upsampled DSD sounded.
yyzsantabarbara
I see now that the hard drive replacement question I raised above does appear to be answered in the "Quick Reference Guide" that's posted on Sony's website, which states: "Do not replace or add hard disk drives on the unit." So much for user serviceability.

But fear not! Additional language on page 7 of the Guide infers -- albeit with incredibly roundabout language -- that hard drive repair and replacement can be handled through Sony. On the other hand, however, absolutely no information is provided as to who one would contact to make any such arrangement. In fact, warranty information about the HAP-Z1ES of any kind whatsoever seems to be totally 'missing in action' from the product's page on Sony's website.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find such omissions as these a little troubling particularly given this humdinger that also appears in the Quick Reference Guide: "Due to the nature of the hard disk drive, we do not recommend you store data on the hard disk drive for a long period." How's that for a disclaimer! Kind of reminds me of the drug ads on TV that tell you if you take this drug your arms are gonna fall off and then you'll go blind.
01-26-14: Mr_bill wrote

Kal,
You should review the Sony Hap Z1ES.

I am doing so.
Kr4, in an earlier post you wrote "it's not a dac or a renderer." The DAC part of that statement confuses me a bit. When starting with digital source material (in this case, computer files no less) I thought there always had to be a DAC somewhere in the equation for sound to emerge from a loudspeaker at the other end. Is that not true?

My confusion also comes from statements on Music Direct's website that read "The Sony HAP-Z1ES is a true professional reference DAC" and "This digital to analog converter effectively reduces ..." and "This ideal D/A conversion system combines ..." Are these marketing statements inaccurate?

If you have the opportunity in your review, I am hoping you can clear up this confusion because as it is the answer to the question of whether the HAP-Z1ES does or does not contain a DAC is about as clear as mud.
GZ3827, I think he means that the unit has an internal DAC of course, but no DAC function for external sources, like a cd player or for streaming music sources like Rhapsody or Pandora from a computer or a squeezebox.