on the desktop?

Hi all-

I'm helping a friend think about a system for her office. The room is small (about 12' by 8'), and the speakers will sit on the desktop. She will mostly listen to cds (and also needs a cdp and amp for this system.) Other considerations: she has small children, so speakers that sound nice at low volumes would be ideal. Her music taste is varied, but she listens to lots of jazz and classical. I was thinking about Harbeth P3esr (maybe run with a Wyred4Sound mint or a Rega Brio), or the Kef Ls50 with the Arcam A19. I wonder if anyone has experience with those speakers on the desktop in a small room? Or other ideas for speakers for this situation? (Component advice is welcome too). The budget is 2-5k. with many thanks! Margot
mcanaday
Post removed 
I have a huge desk and the ls50 was too large for me. That speaker is wider and deeper than you might think. I have done several active nearfield monitors, Mini magnepans, and a wealth of conventional and unconventional bookshelves. For my tastes and my shroom and system there is nothing as good as the Gallo Reference Strada or Strada 2 with a small sub. These speaker throw a huge and stable image, they sound great off axis, they look great and are relatively easy to drive. Their resolving power is incredible and the cdt tweeter in practice sounds as good as the true ribbon in the mini Maggie.

If used is OK try finding a pair of NHT M 00 active monitors paired w their passive volume controller and run the digital volume control wide open.