Audiophile Active Speakers?

Bracing for a flame war on this one - but are there any really seriously good sounding active floor standers? The new Dynaudio XEO 6's intrigued me.

Here's why I'm interested. I recently acquired some great Verity Audio speakers that I realized my entire cabling, amps, preamps etc were too warm for. Problem is I'm getting past the point where I see this as a hobby and am just looking for good music reproduction without tons of system matching experimentation etc.

One interesting option would be selling all my electronics, cables, etc on A-gon and just purchasing a good DAC and good sounding Active floor standers. I could therefore afford decent speakers (up to $7K or so), pocket some cash, simply the system (and save lots of time and grief shopping for matching components).

Am I expecting something that would sound as good as the Verity's with appropriately good electronics? No - not even close.

But a quality audiophile sound I could live with and possible tweak with the right sounding DAC that could make me more or less satisfied is the goal. The don't have to be magical like the Verity's. Any thoughts?
larrybou
I would recommend that you listen to both the ATC and Adam speakers. Both excel at dynamics, and I love the higher end Adams' Heil midrange and tweeter units. May be tough to get them for $7K, though.
Many advantages to a active approach, especially one that let you taylor the speaker to your room and your taste.

Have made several completely active solutions using DSP programable Ice-powered amplifiers the results are extremely good. You can make a speaker that have a completely flat frequency response and one that is completely time coherent - if thats what you desire.

Good Listening

Peter
AUDIOPHILE active speakers? As opposed to REAL SOUNDING, real world active speakers? Who would want audiophile speakers....you know, those are the kind that sell due to a review from a guy you never met, where there are absolutely no standards imposed on him, where the only talents have to be dogmatic about that which he believes or is induced to believe and where he can write well enough to make the editor think he adds to the magazine; where the designer says he's from NASA and he's really not; where the designer likely has little to no measuring equipment or training; that don't ever have to convince a musician that they sound anything like him (as opposed to studio speakers where musicians might hear themselves right after they play - you mean those kind of speakers?

Or do you mean great speakers that studios mastering labs might use because they are transparent and sound something like the musicians; where dynamics as close as possible to live is a goal; where exaggerated highs and lows are not considered a plus but are are actually a stopper; that won't change every year or two in order to generate more reviews; that are made by a company viable enough, dedicated enough, and professional enough to stock drivers way after they stop using that driver; that are very live yet low enough in distortion to be used all day?

If you mean the latter, don't read any more magazines, double don't read webzines, and go listen to some ATC.

Real engineers, real testing ability, and are considered at the top in the studio market.

I have nothing to do with the company, I don't use them, so there is no prejudice or home cookin' here. I just know fidelity when I hear it.
I had a pair of paradigm active studio 20's that were very nice and worked out quite well for me;worth looking at if you get a chance.
If you're really looking to simplify, I say "Lose the DAC".

Since you mention a DAC, I assume that your source is digital, so why not go digital all the way? High end pre-pros or digital preamps (ala DEQX) will take the digital signal straight out of your player/transport/server/PC and eliminate that box, too.

I use a QSonix server, an Onkyo pre-pro, a pair of powered Rythmik subs and a few different main speakers (primarily Ohm or Magnepan in this system). There's also a power amp with a 12v trigger. One touch on the Onkyo remote and the system is ready to rock n roll.

BTW, I also own Verity P/Es in a more traditional system (including LP) and the sound - as you've guessed - is quite different, but.....

Don't be surprised if you prefer the all digital system.