Can't decide on Integrated Amp - Please Help

Hi, really trying to find the best deal I can on a used integrated amp. My current set up is

Monitor Audio RX6 speakers
Oppo 105

Looking for a strong integrated that if I wish to upgrade my speakers will easily handle the change.

Looking at spending no more than $3,000 for a used example and would love some help. I stream most of my music through the Oppo instead of CD's and listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, Dave Matthews, Sting etc

Few choices i have outlined and really hard to be able to audition anything and would like it to match the speakers and Oppo well

Rega Elicit - R
Krell S550i
Hegel 200 or 300 if can afford (is the DAC much better than the 105)
Stello ai500
Saw a PLINIUS HAUTONGA Intergrated A but don't know too much about company.
Modwright 200

My room is around 15 x 15 with wood floors

Thanks in advance for help
simonmorty
Simon,

IMO, the HK is a somewhat different animal than virtually any other model recommended in this thread, so it will come down to your personal priorities. The HK power amp section is a true high end SS design, similar in many ways to those found in Electrocompaniet amps (they were designed by the same person). As far as I can tell, the execution is first rate and the HK 990 will handle most speaker loads very gracefully and without complaint. Personally, I doubt that any other SS integrated amp in your price range will be meaningfully superior in this respect.

The pre-amp section is where this choice will either win or lose for most audiophile types. It can be used as a traditional high end unit in direct mode. I thought it sounded very good this way in the lengthly home audition I conducted. I didn't compare it to Marantz, but I did have the opportunity to compare it to a my Bel Canto and Pathos integrateds with my SF Cremonas. I would honestly be hard pressed to tell you I heard much difference between the Bel Canto and the HK - tho I thought that the Pathos was a somewhat different sounding animal.

However, when used with the DSP engaged in a system with subwoofers (a pair of 12" Rythmiks) and Maggie MMGs, the HK really shined. It replaced a high end Onkyo pre-pro and an ARC VT 130SE and sounded very, very good in comparison. At the price, I felt it a real bargain for such an application.

My bottom line (per my previous post) is that the HK probably provides unmatched flexibility relative to the universe of high end integrateds. IMO, it's very, very good as a traditional unit, but absolutely great when used with sub-woofers. Since your speaker choice is TBD, I thought it was a particularly appropriate recommendation in your case.

BTW, I never had the chance to buy the unit as HK discontinued it before I pulled the trigger and I no longer buy used gear.

Good luck.
I used Plinius for years and it was an awesome match for my Dynaudios. I owned the 8150 through the 9200 and, in my eyes/to my ears, they are eye catching ear candy. Bullet proof and perform well above their price point. The 9200's are generally in your price range.
Not sure way would match your speakers well
Years ago, I had the Acurus DIA 150...too old, though.
For tubes, the Rogue Cronus was a great buy.
Good luck, have fun and enjoy the tunes!
Try and find a used/demo Exemplar Audio Exception Integrated. With a really nice front end you would have to spend big big bucks to beat this unit. I own one and have no plans on replacing it. It is a beautiful sounding piece of audio equipment!
Lot's of choices. I'd love to see you get an Ayre and put it up against all the other choices you have. That will tell us about your ear, lol.
I just picked up a preowned Hegel H200 after listening to their gear at the recent RMAF. Although I have no experience with the other amps mentioned I am extremely happy with this unit. Much deeper sound stage and resolution compared to my Anthem AV30/A2 combination. Plenty of power to push my B&W803s speakers with much smother bass as well.