Your most disappointing purchase or audition?

I've had a few.

bought a Naim Nait 3. Loved it in the store. Returned it within a week- way forward at home

Brought home some CJ preamp to audition perhaps 22 years ago. Noisy as anything and a turn off transient destroyed a tweeter (though years later i bought a CJ 17LS2 which I thought was the finest preamp I ever heard in my home)

Auditioned a VPI table (HW19) in a store- the store just could not get the belt to stay on. Bought a Rega instead. This was in perhaps 1990.

Fortunately, I never really experienced buyers remorse say 6 months or more after settling on a piece of gear.

Finally, there have been too many speakers that got stellar write ups which I just didn't care for.
128x128zavato
Atmasphere, you don't have anything to worry about. Yes we're human but your reputation is SOLID.

I'm NOT a customer of yours but was seriously considering the MA-2s.
Ah, the Taylo 7u posted by Csmgolf reminds me of my own experience owning Taylo Reference monitors (Revelator tweet) -- these things sounded GREAT, except for the lacking low end (monitors that size can't have good bass). I thought I'd upgrade to the newer Linbrook Signature Monitors to get those same sweet minds & highs with a bit more low end extension. Bought them used from Tyler Acoustics for $2200 with stands (I think those were extra). They were horrible from top to bottom; wooly and completely lacking the magic and sparkle of the Taylos. They weren't broken; they just didn't sound good. And I can't tell you exactly how ugly they looked on those pedestal stands -- just the wrong sizes and proportions on a very large scale.

Shortly after this experience I made 2 more big mistakes: 1. Legacy Signature III: these weren't nearly as bad as the Linbrooks, but they weren't great either. 2. Sunfire Signature II amp: worst sounding stereo amp I've ever had in any of my systems. Completely defeats the purpose of having unlimited power on tap if you can't stand to listen at any volume. A PS Audio HCA-2 ran musical circles around it, and a Parasound A21 made it a laughingstock.

Also gotta give a dishonorable mention to Grado RS-1 headphones, since they're so overpriced and their sound quality is extremely overrated. Plus, the build quality of the units around 2005-7 was awful.

Ah, feels good to get some of the hate out. I'm SURE I've forgotten plenty of others...for now.
"You suggested that my equipment must be the exception to the rule regarding Atmasphere as a friend’s Atmasphere components work fine. From a statistical or logical level that suggestion does not compute."

Tubes 108 your comment above that Charles's impressions based on his friend's ownership of Atma-sphere components, "work fine" and your situation may be "the exception to the rule" and you disagree from "a statistical or logical level that suggestion does not compute"

Why is it not logical or does not compute? Could you reference the date of the Sterophile review and the date of your particular situation, it might help in giving perspective to your charges. It seems you had a problem but by your last comment (the last paragraph of your last post) you seem to have an ax to grind. Why aren't you addressing your issues on this thread directly to Ralph after his response? After all it is he, not Charles that you should be responding to WITH some details and dates. Continuing with comments through a a 3rd party is questionable.

This product has been around for a while. Maybe in their early days they had quality control issues and they didn't address those issues in the manner that a new owner might expect, I don't know. All I'm suggesting is that there is not a complete picture of your grievance and you seem very bitter towards this company but you provide scant information for the reader to conclude that your information is totally credible.
Tubes108,
I have no legitimate reason to question your experience with the Atmasphere products. I give people who post here the benefit of doubt unless they subsequently give me a reason not to. My point was that these products have been around for quite a long time and have established a very good reputation for quality and reliability. That doesn't mean that there may have been the rare lemon from time to time(true for any company). I hardly ever read that Atmasphere owners are complaining about service or reliability issues. I can understand your specific situation and frustration, it doesn't appear to be widespread problem however.
Charles,
08-11-14: Tubes108
A side comment, and of course to each their own, I feel any manufacturer that posts frequently is self serving on a subtle to an overt level and takes advantage of an under-the-gun manner to advertise product.
IMO it is incontrovertible that Ralph's many posts over the years have helped a great many people in a great many ways. If in fact his business has derived some benefit from those posts, I see nothing wrong with that. It seems to me to be an example of what is often referred to as a "win-win" situation.

Regards,
-- Al