Remote volume control = unacceptable compromise?

Reading through some of the threads it seems that the absence of a remote control on a pre or integrated is a ‘deal breaker’ for some here. These are my experiences. A couple of years back, at a private listening session with a maker (anonymous ‘cos it really doesn’t matter who because the thread might loose focus) had 2 preamps identical other than one had a remote volume control and other was manual. Both volume controls made by Alps. Apparently these are among the best.

Using a digital source with twin analogue outputs and full-range speakers and a sophisticated SPL meter the system was set up to switch, using a Manley Skipjack, between the two preamps. At identical SPLs for both, the differences were clear. At low SPL, detail retrieval was reduced when the remote control was used. At normal listening levels the differences were slight and at realistic levels the remote unit sounded a bit harsh. Or perhaps the manual unit was less detailed? Hard to say for sure.

There was a difference. The amp designer didn’t prime us with his own opinions. The preamps were behind us. Switching was random.

It was a bit of a ear-opener for me. Based on this the designer decided not to proceed, for the foreseeable future, with a remote preamp. This was because of unacceptable sonic compromises. He pointed out that while circuits can be constructed by him with endless different component configurations, neither he nor his competitors were in a situation to build from scratch a remote control volume mechanism. He reasoned that his years of work should not be compromised because of the compromises made by OEM suppliers.

Some pointed out that he was missing a part of the market. He agreed – but said while acknowledging this, he felt his buyers valued performance over convenience. Before the demo I’d have disagreed. During the demo though, I changed my mind. Nothing has happened to me since that time to change back.
128x128bigaitch
11-13-13: Elizabeth
I have my preamp right at my left of my listening position.. I can reach the volume control by reaching out and turning the knob.
Works great.

. . . the ultimate in seamless remotes. I had my rack set up like this once before. It was extremely convenient.
Alps is not that great of a device. Bent audio makes a motor that fits on a Goldpoint stepped Attenuator. Go ahead and compare both the Goldpoint with and without the Bent audio motor. You will not hear any difference. None.

The Bent uses its own outboard power supply device that plugs Into the wall. It is off at all times unless and until one changes the volume. Then the motor turns on just for the moment you change the volume. It remains off when not in use.

The Goldpoint/Bent combo sounds much, much better than an Alps. Not even in the same league.
Yeah, to echo Grannyring again, the Alps blue pots suck for high-end audio applications. They're cool for say a $600 headphone amp or an entry level hifi integrated/pre, but I shudder seeing pics of (for example) a $4K preamp's internals with the telltale blue plastic box and small metal cylinder stuck on its back (the motorized version). If that's what was referred to in the OP's post, then the remote control implementation wasn't a serious effort.

And yes, I've heard the difference...for example, even those headphone amps improve notably when you ditch the RK27 pot for a good stepped attenuator. The cleanest sounding gear I've heard so far has used stepped attenuators. And it shouldn't be that hard for a competent engineer or 2 to motorize, especially given the price points of some of this gear.
When listening to music with a wide dynamic range (e.g., operas) I find myself reaching to the remote to adjust the volume.

A remote is must-have for me, and I agree with the above posters, the attenuator's effect on sound quality is more due to engineering design.

I would add Electrocompaniet integrated amps as ones that are designed to isolate the volume input from the signal path.
I went for a remote function on my present set up because I couldn't get that precise volume setting I desired on my older set up (that, and getting lazy). Despite my Marantz sounding great with everything, there's something I kind of miss with the Burson and its' stepped attenuator. It runs in Class A for most of its' power rating and has it's own, uniquely engaging quality that I've yet to hear from other amps. It can't match the Marantz in a host of different qualities but its got that something special going for it.

I've yet to sell it.

All the best,
Nonoise