EXPERIENCED VAC USERS—most bang for the buck

To those of you who have experience with the VAC line, which combination of components do you think would provide the best sound? The Phi 300.1a amp combined with the Renaissance MkIII preamp, or the Phi 200 amp with the Signature MkIIa preamp?

Beyond the obvious difference in amp power, we're more interested in the quality of sound. So is there more of an improvement in sound going up from one amp to the other, or going up from one preamp to the other?

We have a limit on the client's budget for whom we're providing the system (which is why we can't combine the 300.1a with the Sig MkIIa), and, most unfortunately, we're not in a position to be able to audition the differences ourselves prior to providing the system to our client. Thanks for any input.
liszt458
A factor which may clinch the decision in favor of the Phi200/SignatureMkIIa combination, depending on the sensitivity of the speakers and the output level of the source(s), is that the gain of the other combination stands a good chance of being too high. The result being that with the 300.1a/MkIII combination the volume control may have to be operated undesirably close to the bottom of its range.

In fact I would not even rule that out as being a possible issue with both combos, depending on speakers and sources, but assuming that the specs are accurate it is a much greater concern with the 300.1a/MkIII. Both power amps have similarly high gains, around 31 db balanced and 37 db single-ended according to the published specs. The Signature MkIIa has a reasonable gain of 12 db, but the Renaissance MkIII has a specified gain of 22 db, which strikes me as outlandish in combination with the high gain of the power amp.

Regards,
-- Al
Thanks, Bill. As I've said in a number of past threads, specs have their usefulness. Not, generally speaking, in predicting how a component will sound, but in ruling out candidates that may be poor matches with the rest of the system, or with the listener's requirements. Which in turn reduces the randomness of the selection process, and the chances of expensive mistakes.

Best regards,
-- Al
Liszt- Given the other posts, I assumed that you would have told us if that conversation had occurred. My bad. As we all know (and can be verified independently here), this is a dangerous thing to do. You are correct; your relationship w Kevin is none of my business. I sincerely and humbly apologize.

Given my experience w high gain pre-amps, I think Al's recommendation should be taken seriously.