Why does Spectral have such a cult following

I've never thought their stuff sounded that special. They have very few dealers and they don't advertise at all. I'm not saying it's bad gear. I just don't understand why some people act like it's the holy grail.
taters
Not a fan either, always left me cold. Dealers who have the line push them first over all other equipment. A big yawn for me...
One of the best sounding systems I've heard was spectral and Wilson at a show. The sound was so crisp and you would almost hear the imaging and soundstage as you walked though the door. I hated the music they were playing but on more than a few occasions I would kill to be transported to that system to hear some of my favorite music.
Well made, well engineered and appealing to the eye. Not run of the mill and not seem everywhere. That appeals to some. If it floats your boat you have something you feel is special which is part of the joy of owning gear.

For myself I shy away from gear that locks one into the need for "special cables" and such that can only be used with their gear and their gear only.
But realize my funds for toys has it limits. I appreciate the dealers who carry various choices and makers of gear with a twist. Adds to the fun of viewing and listening to equipment which may or may not me for me but I can enjoy to some degree none the less.

If would,be a boring landscape if every flower was the same color and sharpe.
I am curious has anyone tried anything other than MIT cables? It seems nothing more than an advertising scam. All these years and still must be used with MIT cable and nothing else? Just sounds so ridicules.
Ejlif, I've never heard Wilson sound good at a show. And I have been to many shows. I haven't heard Spectral with Wilson so I can't comment on that.