Finish Quality of Von Schweikert VR4jr's

I have had a pair of these for about 6 months. I am very happy with the sound quality, but not so thrilled with the durability of the cabinet finish. The scratch extremely easily. I have several fine scratches in the finish, and they look like crap compared to my former Thiel speakers. Those could be wiped off without fear of scratching, unlike the VR4jr's.

Gues the Made in China finish is the reason they are so inexpensive. Too bad, these will not hold value as they will look like old speakers that had a family of kids living around them.

Great sound, poor finish!
brrgrr
I have a pair of VR4Jr and the finish is fabulous! The sound quality is wonderful, musical and all the reasons I have a pair.

The bass units to MT units are beautiful and the pair are nicely book matched.

I believe persons complaining about products being made in China are not forthcoming with their real intentions of posting a complaint in this forum.

I believe persons complaining have too much time on thier hands and should simply enjoy the sound and be happy they didnt pay "full pop" for , B&W, Velodyne, Onix, Vienna Acoustics, Gamut, Usher, Dunlavy, and many other products of which are made in China but have inflated retail pricing.

The "cost of goods" value compared to the retail value have nothing to do with each other!

Wilson Audio, Thiel, Vandersteen, Martin Logan and many many more have speakers that are assembled in Denmark or China and the units are stuffed in an enclosure in the US.

Von Schweikert is forthcoming with what products are made in China and what is made in the USA.

Audi A6, Mercedes CK 230 are made in China!

Vienna Acoutics is made in China!

Dali is made in China!

Where a product is made is not as important of the quality systems in place to make the product as the raw materials come from China.

Do people complain that the US flag is made in China! Or your fireworks on the American 4th of July holiday!

Please offer intelligent reasoning when complaining about something instead of quoting somebody on a subject you have no experience or working knowledge of. Thank you

You can sand and recoat but you will not get as smooth a finish as factory sprayed on.Also veneers are natural wood ea has its own look you can kind of match but it will never be perfect because its wood not plastic.Many folks are so used to vinyl fin they think wood should look the same it doesnt .Natural fin on wood is best as it ages it looks better and better plastic coats just suck I will never purchase a loudspeaker new so finished.
Trueanalog, Please reread my posts!..I love the sound of the speakers, but am annoyed that the finish is so sensitive to scratches. Period.
Brrgrr,

If the scratches don't go into the stain, yes they can be removed. Sand lightly with some 320 grit sandpaper. Be real carefull not to sand through the lacquer. Remove the dust with a tack cloth and recoat with lacquer. Spray lacquer can be purchased in a can at Lowes. The problem is going to be blending. It's going to be easier to just recoat that entire side. Remember, you have to spray in a dust free environment.

If the scratches are minor you might be able to get away with just applying a light coat of wax. I use BriWax. Put on a very light coat and let it dry for 24 hours. Then, buff off with a clean cotton cloth. I use cotton diapers (new). Be very careful not to put swirl marks into the finish. Briwax actually softens the finish a little that's why you have to let it dry for 24 hours. It actually smells like kerosene when you open the can. The BriWax can also be applied with 0000 (four 0) steel wool, but unless you are familiar with that technigue i'd leave it to somebody with experience. The problem is the finish is so thin that you might damage the wood under it.

Another idea is to have a professional repair the scratches. Look under furniture restoration in the phone book. Some of these guys are so good that they can just about make scratches disappear even if they are in the wood.

Trueanalog,

According to the windows sticker at my local Audi dealer, the A6 is made in Germany. According the MB the CK and CLK are manufacturered in Germany. They also told me that they do not manufacture any cars in China.

I emailed Dali and they assured me that their cabinets are made in Denmark.

I really think that you need to reread the thread. Nobody is fualting the sound or design of the VR4jr's. I'm sure that that China is capable of doing and excellent finish.

later,