Still pondering Paradigms

The selection of speakers to audition is limited in my area. However, with a budget of $1,600.00, I can't afford the majority of the really good higher-end speakers out there. There is a Paradigm dealer here, and I must say, that I was impressed with the Studio 40's. At least I think I was!!

My dilemma is that I need to replace my ML Sequel II's (wife says there too big) and I've been very happy with their sound. I don't want to give up too much of what the ML's offer - clear, transparent upper and mid-range frequency. At the same time, I would like to find something with some good tight lower end. All this must be accomplished with $1,600.00 and fit into a very small room (12 x 14).

I thought I actually heard some darn good low end coming from the Paradigm Studio 40's (surprising for a bookshelf). And, they were very quick and didn't appear to sound harsh in the uppers. Can this be?

Would this speaker actually be a reasonable replacement for the Sequel II's?? Keep in mind; I wouldn't be getting rid of the Sequels if my wife weren’t making me shrink my sound room (for a kids room).

Okay, here's the bottom line: Is Paradigm the real deal? Are the 40's as good as what I've been reading? Can I find something better for the money? Are there any happy and satisfied Paradigm Studio 40 owners out there? Any persons out there familiar with the ML Sequel II’s and the performance of the Paradigms??

Note: My buddy, who's a B&W dealer, (I can't afford the 704's) says the Paradigms pretty much suck in comparison to the ML Sequel II's (I bought the ML's from him). But, that's not what my ears are telling me.
2chnlben
Ben,
I've heard the Staff & Hawk, side by side. The Hawk was shockingly better to me, for only a few bucks more. From the similar appearances, I didn't expect it. Never heard two "next in a line" speakers sound different. Cheers,
Spencer
How do I know if I can contribute or not UNLESS I read the thread ;) Hopefully you aren't taking too seiously.

But now I am being serious. I did own the paradigm studio 100 (version 1) - A very very good speaker for the price. But I now have the Von Schweikert, and I'd have to say I've never heard anyone (that isn't a little funny it the head) who was dissapointed with them. From the bookshelves to the $100,000+ VS speaker that I am too poor to even mention (probably one of the few best speakers ever made he is a genious in speaker design.
Thanks to both. No, Robm321, I'm not serious. We're all friends here! I appreciate your input. I'd love to audition the Von Schweikerts, but there are no dealers, that I'm aware of, in my area. I think they're probably too expensive. I'll have to check out their website. Now, I do feel guilty. I really have let this thread run on too long. I still haven't decided on a speaker, but I don't think I'll be buying the Paradigms.

Again, a very big thanks to all.
Ihave paradigm 40s- refernce v3s///

Good but i think over priced!!!---If you can save a little more get the ATC SCM 35s an excellent seaker for $2000.00. Also for less money do the Axiom 80Ts---also made in Canada as are the Paradigms Check out their web site---I think the Axioms are 1000/pair
the studio 40 is a good speaker...the GMA Europas is simply in a different league...much more like an electrostatic speaker in this regard...