Selling speakers here at Audiogon

Hi,

Fellow Audiogoners, I need help.

I have a number of vintage speakers I'm selling however, never done this before.

I'm looking for advice on how to pack, ship and calculate the shipping charges.

Now I've been watching the ads and seeing shipping charges far lower than what I've been able to estimate through this site. Is there something I'm doing wrong or am I selecting the wrong mode of shipping ??

Please help !!!
baldyzx9
if your speakers have detachable grills its a good idea to wrap them in shrink wrap before packing,this keeps moisture & debris out & it also keeps the grill mounts from being snapped off, also if the speakers are large with heavy magnets its a good idea to wedge a peice of styrofoam insulation under the woofer magnet,this keeps the magnet from being dislodged during shipping.
How about just selling them 'local'.--?? Offer to drive part way or such. BAXGLOBAL did the fork lift thing on my speakers and refused to pay. Try suing them;bring your lunch;you'll be a while.
The price you get at the FedEx web site only applies if you have a FedEx account. Which is easily obtained at the FedEx 800 number. So, if you get the account, you will get the price that you got at their internet site. If you take your package to a FedEx retail site, and you don't have a FedEx account, expect to pay close to a 70% markup over the internet price. I got an internet price of $31 to ship a package for one particular transaction. The retail store quoted me a price of $52. This was the case on three seperate occasions and at three different retail locations. So I know it is consistant. Get an account and your good to go.
One last thing. Make sure it is a GROUND account to get the cheapest prices. They won't pick up at your house with that account but the prices are about 25% cheaper than UPS. But do double box and pack,pack,pack!