Anyone: Wilson X1Grand Slamm/ Lamm ML2's

Anyone heard these 2 together? I've seconhand knowledge that it's quite a match but I'd appreciate knowing some details, e.g. if it can play macrodynamics,be delicate and yet still play loud without the amp pooping out.
audiogoon
No way. Two pair of ML2's do not have enough power to properly drive the Slamms.
Hi Jonathan,

Actually you're wrong, you forget that the Slamms are 96db sensitive and a relatively benign load even one pair of ML2s can easily drive the Grand Slamms, with two pairs you have unlimited power. I know this from first hand experience having sold and set up a couple of systems with this combination. ML2 & X1 is a natural pairing, the best amplifier on the market with one of the best speakers ever, you just have to know how to set them up properly and the results are INCREDIBLE!!!!

Don't ,
i would think that a blanket statement here would be a mistake. on this combination, room size and listening tastes would be big varibles in apparent performance.

in a small room with an emphasis on intimate accoustical type music i would think that this combo could be 'incredible'.....as David writes.

in a big space, on 'big music', this combo would be exposed as dynamically limited and lacking the ability to 'energise' the room.

typically X-1's are in fairly large rooms. and in my experience X-1's will improve as they are fed more and more current. so while the 2 pairs of ML2's would be engaging.....the X-1's would be restricted in their ultimate abilities. if a person can financially consider 2 pairs of ML2's, there are other speaker or amp combos that might work better than this particular one for large spaces.
Hi Mike,

>>in a small room with an emphasis on intimate accoustical type music i would think that this combo could be 'incredible'.....as David writes<<

This isn't what I meant nor what I wrote, and you also know that I judge everything playing classical music. The ML2/X1 combo plays full orchestral music in pretty decent sized rooms, at live volumes, with ease, jazz and rock is a sinch. You need to experience two pairs of ML2s and an X-1 then you'll realize what I mean by virtually unlimited power. I'm not talking theoretical here, its real power.

>>if a person can financially consider 2 pairs of ML2's, there are other speaker or amp combos that might work better than this particular one for large spaces.<<

There's nothing that can touch the ML2 on purity of sound and naturalness, you've never experienced real live bass reproduced properly until you hear the ML2s; and in combination with the X-1 you have a foundation that nothing I've heard can even begin to approach; unless you add an XS. I know you had the Watt/Puppy but they're not the X-1 and Puppies need a lot more power to play loud. There's a lot to a great high end system and playing at realistic levels is only one of them, the X-1s are phenomenal speakers sometimes given a bad rap due to bad setup and weak ancillary equipment, otherwise they have detail, speed, realism and a sound stage way ahead of most other speakers in their price point and higher. The only other speaker I know of equal quality is the JM Labs Grand Utopia, I can't comment on the Alexandria since I never heard them in a familiar environment.

I'm not sure what you mean by large spaces, one of the systems we set up was in a 35' x 60' x 13'.6" room and there was no shortage of power there. Of course one of our vintage horn systems with a pair of ML2s can play louder but that's a totally different story.