Best $1k pair of floor standing speakers?

I know, I know, not another best of thread.
But here goes...
I can pick up a brand new pair of KEF Q7's for a little less than a grand.
I've heard them, liked them very much, but I'd like to check out a few others.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
geoh
A few decent speakers I've used "well" in such a small room have been:

Ls3/5a's (mine were a late 70's Rogers version with add on bass units/stands). I later used custom bass units, but the standard versions were still pretty good.

Reynaud Twins MkII. These bettered the Rogers all round, IMO, though it would probably be a toss up (for many) between the two.

Please note that the Rogers bass modules were not sub woofers (doubt if they were flat to even 40 Hz in any of the rooms I used them in).

Sorry, don't have a great deal of experience with rooms this size (only used them a few times).

My bedroom is approx. this size, but the speakers I'll be using will combine vintage drivers with custom DIY cabinets (not a fun/easy way to go unless you are broke and/or a masochist:-). I'm also shooting for "speech" reproduction as they will be used mainly for movie and TV audio.
Some good suggestions above, although I would not personally recommend electrostatic or planar speakers in your rather small room. I'll add only one choice to the mix: a pair of used Vandersteen 2Ce's -- you might even find a pair of used 2Ce Signatures at just over $1k. The Vandies pair very nicely with your McCormack electronics, and will also perform well in a smaller room. If you want a nearly full-range speaker that simply makes great music, you won't find much (maybe any) competition with the 2Ce / 2Ce Signature for around $1k.
To paraphrase an anonymous Soliloquoy dealer, "They really don't sound good at all with solid state amps. With tubes, excellent value". At the time, I was considering them for my HT system. This dealer had no interest in discouraging me from them. After listening, I was in agreement.
I second Sdcampbell's recommendation of used Vandy 2ce. Particularly synergistic with McCormack. I believe they used to show together at some of the audio shows...

Spencer
I'm going to have to contradict a few people here, and what is a generally held consensus. My room is comparable in dimensions to Geoh's, except it opens into a dining room at the rear. I have had much better results across the board with my LFT-VIIIa planar hybrids than with a pair of vandersteen 2cis in the same room. Of course, these are with my ears and my room (although my girlfriend thinks the lfts sound much better, too).