Recommendations on mid-fi speakers

Hi folks,

I'm just getting into decent audio, and want a pair of nice but not terribly expensive floorstanding speakers. Below is a list of some I've encountered, and I'd be grateful for any comments, advice, warnings.

A bit more about my audio situation:

-- the arrangement of the living room where these will be placed makes it almost impossible to create a convenional triangular sweetspot for listening. So I need speakers that will sound good from several different places in the room.

--I need speakers that work for more serious listening with musical friends, as well as for "family listening" (that is, hanging out with my wife, listening at low-to-moderate volume).

--I do have a Roksan Kandy amp and CD player in my other system that may eventually be used with these speakers. But until I get a decent integrated amp for the living room, I need speakers that aren't completely intolerant of being driven by a mass-market receiver.

-- We listen to classical and classic rock (most of it not heavy) in roughly equal proportions.

Here are the choices I've come up with. Thanks for any thoughts....

Totem Arro
Axiom M80ti
Quad 21L
Pinnacle BD1000
PSB Image 7T
Vienna Acoustics Bach
Castle Howard
Opera Terza
Epos M15
Kirksaeter Silverline 220
Role Audio Enterprise
Swan 5.2
Soliloquy 5.3
apspr
I would agree with above comment - your list represents 'entry level' which is a good place to start.
Take a look at a used/demo pr of Von Schweikert VR2 - there is a review at AVGUIDE.com - there is a audio dealer (Canadian Hi Fi) on Audiogon selling the Quad line at great prices. There is a pratically new pr of the Totem Arro on Audiogon for $750.00 - excellent price and I hear it's a good speaker. I agree with the statement about Opera and Vienna - can't go wrong with any of them.
Best of luck
i agree with the 2 responses above. I use a pair of arro's in my den and they are amazing small speakers. actually, these speakers sound better than many other vendors more expensive speakers.
Your primary list contains good speakers, although with different qualities. First, it is important to understand that no speaker is perfect, but of course if you are willing to spend a lot of money you get closer to perfection. Although I have extremely expensive system, I think that with patient, experience and the understanding that you will get very good sound, but not perfect, you can have a great system that is relatively inexpensive. I mostly listen to classical music and jazz, so the main features that I'm looking for in speakers is a very natural, detailed and refined midrange and treble, and a good mid-bass and bass. Speakers that I’m familiar with and posses these feature are: Vienna Acoustic, Montana (PBN) and Spendor. Among them the Montana is the best sounding in respect to the features I mentioned. Specifically, I listed reasonably priced load speakers. In no more then $3000, you can find speakers that would satisfy any audiophile that is willing to compromise on the very bottom bass, that anyway one could not get for speakers that cost less then 10K.
The one speaker I think you should add to your list for audition is the Vandersteen 2CE Signature, which is one of the true high-end audio values.
Snell E/III's. One for sale right now here for $400 OBO in walnut. Beautiful sounding speaker. Easy load on amp. (A lot less than other spks on your list and I'd get these in a heartbeat, especially for the price, over any spk. on your list.) Other possible choices to consider, Mission Freedom 752/753.