UsedMeadowlark "Heron" i vs Von Schweikert VR-4G3?

I have an opportunity of buying from a friend going through a divorce either a "used" pair of Meadowlark Heron"i" or used Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen3. (the Vons are about $200 less) I have a living room that is approx 15X20 with a 10 ft sloped ceiling. I have only read one review on the 'Larks; I like the Von Schweikert design, but the rear firing tweeter which functions as an "ambient recovery system" seems hoaky and similar to the OHM, Mirage, and early Infinity speaker devices. I know there are many VSA fans out in Audiogon land, but I would like to hear all opinions.FYI: I have an Aragon 4004MK2 amp and Conrad Johnson PV-8 which has been modified for lower noise and is a killer pre-amp. Please advise and Thank you, Jimbo
sunnyjim
I have a set of the VR's & I use the fill tweeter to "tune" the high freq. I really dislike any brightness & have the fill tweets turned down to about 1/4. A great addition IMO as you can make subtle adjustments.

My room is similar in size (11 x 23 x 8) and I sit 11-14' away depending on the quality of the recording. Never heard the Heron's so can't compare.
I have the Heron Hot Rods in my second system. They are a very fine speaker and associated equipment can make a very big difference. They are good enough to show any weaknesses. They are very efficient. I am running mine through an 18 watt Audio Note P2 and it drives them to quite satisfying volumes. Your room size sounds pretty ideal. I am not sure your amp is refined enough for these. I am not saying it is not a good amp but these speakers need refinement over power. Pat at Meadowlark is always helpful so why not give him a call.
I AM CURRENTLY USING MY VR6'S WITH THE REAR TWEETERS TURNED OFF.THATS THE BEAUTY OF THE REAR TWEETER:ITS THERE IF YOU NEED IT.MY DEDICATED LISTENING ROOM IS ONLY 24X17 AND DO NOT NEED THE REAR TWEETER ON.THE VR4 IS ALOT OF SPEAKER FOR THE MONEY,THATS MY VOTE.