Totem or B&W?

I am new to this audio craze and am still trying to learn as much as possible before I make my first big purchase. I am a classical musician and mostly listen to classical music although I enjoy listening to pop, rap, alternative, jazz etc. I am close to purchasing a Rotel RC-1070 preamp and the RB-1080 amp. I have visited many audio stores and have narrowed down the speakers I like to B&W and Totem. I originally was comparing the B&W 602 series to the Totem Mites but recently made the mistake of listening to the Totem Mani2s. Anyone know which speakers will work best with the Rotel setup? I would prefer to stay under $1,000 for speakers but if I do decide to go with the Totem Model-1 or Mani-2 (used) will I have to step up to a better pre-amp and amp?
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
mattmusic
I have not heard the Totem Mani-2s, but I have heard the Totem Sttaf and Hawk and I liked them MUCH better than the comparable B&W models. Whether you go with Totems or not, I wouldn't say that you would 'have to' step up to a better preamp and amp to start with.

I am a member of the camp that believes that you should first find speakers that you like (within your price range), and then start making changes upstream to compliment the speakers. Therefore, my advice would be to spend a little more on speakers (to start with) and a little less on electronics.

Of course, some will disagree...
JM Renaud, Vienna Haydn's, Pro-Ac and Aerial Acoustics are good brands for classical music.
Tweeter's Etc sells the Vienna line so easy to audition. I would search out Proac and Aerial if you can.
You may want to decide on speakers first because you may find a speaker you really like and Rotel may not best match.
My friend own totem model one. He runs them with
parasound amp.Iam not sure if its 100 or 200,
it sounds very musical.Also I would recommend
aerius used if you listen to classical music.
they are not that expensive.Good Luck.
I second Alon Petite speaker and I strongly recommend Jolida 302 to drive it. I am a serious amateur pianist and I was searching for a system a few years ago in the same price range as yours. I auditioned B&W 602 and a Rotel integrated. The B&W will give you a lot of detail but the highs will be quite harsh. an Alon is more neutral and is very open.

For more real instrument timbre (i.e. piano, violin sound) which I assume is important to musician like us, you should go with tube amps. A Jolida is not expensive but is very good. (I recently compared it with Jadis Orchestra (my Jolida is upgraded for $150) and find that I didn't really miss anything.
Call Totem and ask how your electronics will mate with their speakers. There is a good chance that you will talk to Vince , the designer.