VMPS RM-40 - Anyone Heard

Has anyone heard (or seen) the new VMPS RM-40, which apparently won a "Best in Show" award at the recent CES? I've seen a couple of photos of it and the specs sound interesting, but who knows without listening...Also, I've heard some negatives about VMPS QC and cabinetry in the past and wonder if VMPS has improved with this new offering.
schacter
Can someone tell me why the rm40 HAS 4 mid ribbons as well as 2 tweet ribbons. is this not a bit of overkill. more is not better is it? is this an attempt to overcompensate or is it to provide a tidal wave of sound? i prefer a gentle brook of quality sound. anybody?
With speakers in most cases bigger is usually better - Soundlabs, Quad 989 - RM 40 . I ordered the 40's and Mr. Shacter already has his. I will let you know how they sound in a week or two.
Yes, I received my RM40s a few days ago. They are still breaking in, but are starting to sound wonderful (first couple of days was a little tough but the improvement has been dramatic).

I'm not sure what you mean by "gentle brook of quality sound," but if you mean a somewhat laid back speaker, then these are probably not them. Again, the sound is evolving and mellowing a lot, so my first impressions may mean nothing, but they are very dynamic and open sounding. Not a forgiving speaker - they seem to convey the information they are fed without much editorializing.

I will post more detailed observations within a week or so.

Ken
tweek,

i suggest emailing brian cheney directly; he's quite forthright w/his responses.

i would suspect that in this case, the added quantity of drivers allows a higher spl w/less distortion - not an issue in small-to-medium rooms, perhaps, but mebbe a consideration w/large rooms. also, higher efficiency means more tube-friendly.

regarding the rm40 specifically, comparing it w/its smaller siblings that share the same midrange & tweet, the rm40 offers the adwantage of being a line-array set-up, which is usually beneficial for soundstage, as room interactions are less problematic, due to the same response coming from both the top and the bottom of the speaker, & ear-height is usually less critical...

hth,

doug s.
Sedond i'm at ropes end in my speaker search think i'll take your advice. I gave boxes one last chance seems we can't get along.