Vienna Acoustics vs Revel Studios?

Three years ago, I invested in a system that has given me many hours of listening pleasure. I have Vienna Acoustics Beethoven speakers, a SimAudio I-5 integrated, and an Ultech CD player. At that time, that was about as much as my budget would allow, and I have never regretted buying any part of this system. The only "problem" I am having is that the system lacks "rock out' power. It is perfect for moderate listening, but will occasionally clip or become slightly shrill or unfocused when "cranked."

So now, of course, I'm pondering all kinds of potential remedies. I could simply use the I-5 as a pre-amp and add something like a Bryston 7B ST for extra volume. I could sell the I-5 and go for separates, maybe even try out some tubes, such as the Sonic Frontiers Power 3 set-up (although I have heard that tubes are not necessarily a good match for the 'warm' Vienna speakers). Or I could sell the system and try out the Revel Studios (I think the Salons are probably too big for my living room) with some combination of the above to drive them.

I am not a true audiophile, in the sense that I know an awful lot about this stuff, but I do know that I enjoy good music played on a good system. I don't mind paying for top notch equipment, within reason, but I don't want to fork over 10-12K when a modest adjustment in my current set-up would be almost as good.

So, I appeal to all of you true audiphiles for advice. Please show me the way. Would the Revels be a big step up from the Viennas? Would separates be much better than adding an amp, while using the I-5 as a pre-amp? Any suggestions on possible matches?

I realize the answers are, to some degree, subjective. But I am interested in your feedback and experiences.

Many thanks.
chriscox9674
Chris: for a cd upgrade in your price range I would suggest the Resolution Audio CD-55 (pay about $1700 used). Athough I like & have owned Meridian, I find the Resolution to be a much more analog sounding source. Plus it's got upsampling...a great feature. For amplification I would suggest the CJ premier 11a (75 watts pentode,)which can be had for around $1750 on the used market. A sleeper killer preamp would be the Joule Electra LA-100, but must be MKIII. You can pick one up used for around the $1500-$1700 range. This combintion has great synergy. I guarantee it will make a night & day differance to what you hearing now. You will immediatly notice more resolution & detail & most of all that that precious indescribable midrange magic. If you can't afford the CJ/Joule combo, look for a good tube integrate .
I have a few general observations about the "Vienna Acoustics sound" versus the "Revel sound" as based upon my experience with my VA Mahlers (so forgive me if what follows is all off-topic).

I run a pair of Mahlers (not Beethovens) with a VAC 70/70 Mark III tube amp with great success. I have also used a Bryston 4B-ST with the Mahlers with great success. VERY MUSICAL. I have only spent a half an hour with the Revel, the big Salons (not Studios) powered by an all-Levinson system. It was very boring and disappointing to me, but this was probably due to the Levinson gear. The Mahlers with tubes behind them are much more musical. That said, the room I have the Mahlers in is too small, so I have some bass bloat, even when running them with the very powerful 4B-ST. The Mahlers, I am told, are only flat in the bass in a big room (cubic feet-wise) with serious amplification and the right speaker cables (Sumiko, the Vienna Acoustics distributor in the U.S., uses Kimber Monacle at shows -- I use Kimber Select 3033).

Don't forget that the Mahlers and Studio are roughly the same price, while the Beethoven is half the price of the Studio.

Good luck.

Thanks for the posts. My living room will not accomodate the Mahlers. I am keeping the Beethovens and will try matching them up with the Bel Canto EVO.2 amp and a tube pre, most likely the Joule Electra LA-150 (I also considered a Rogue, but am intrigued by all I've read about the Joule). I have heard it is a good idea to run the Bel Cantos as monoblocks, so I may get another one later on if I like the one I get now.

Next I need to settle on a new CD player, probably between a Resolution Audio CD-55 or a Meridian 508.24.

I haven't pulled the trigger on any of this yet, so if anyone sees any fatal flaws, I would like to hear from you. I have precious little experience in high end audio, but intend to experiment until I get my system "right." Luckily, I live close enough to Jud Barber to drive down and audition the Joule amps at his house. That ought to be a blast.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.
Sounds like a pretty good plan Chris. One note I may throw in is, if your looking in the Meridian 508.24 category for a cd player, I strongly recommend you listen to a BAT VK-D5. On the used market you can get one for about the same price, I like the BAT much better than the Meridian or the Resolution players. IMHO.
I agree with your decision to try different amplification. If that doesn't yield satisfaction then reconsider the Mahler which, for my 200,000 nickels, is a far more musical speaker than the Revel, at about the same price. As to their size, well....where there's a will, there's a way.