Quads or Maggies?

Which speaker really does it for you? The Quad 988 or the Magnepan 3.6? And why?
kinsekd
The Magnepan 3.6 is a magnificent speaker, which honours the music. It has plenty of dynamics, excellent highs and a fairly good and punchy bass. It also can play fairly loud.
The midrange of the Quad 988 however, is still unsurpassed in transparency, immediacy and coherence. Also in the rest of the parameters mentioned above, it is no slouch. The Magnepan may be easier and less finicky to drive, the Quad however, mated with the right tube gear for example, can come uncannily close to the real thing with chamber music, voices and Jazz ensembles. That's what my ears tell me, regarding your question. Cheers and happy listening,
Just to add to Detlof's excellent advice - I have found that the reaction to Maggies is often a "love or hate" thing. Something to do with its particular (slight) coloration bugging some people but being irrelevant to others. You have to try them, or get them at a great price, otherwise the risk is high.
Just a small addition to Detlof & Red (good to see you back, Red!), I have found big Maggies more system dependent than Quads -- i.e. I have made 63s sing MUCH more easily than the Maggie. Pls note however, this was with the old 3's...