Cheap Canadians

I see new canadian speakers on the us market for almost half off retail, seeing as many view these speakers as excellent values at full price (paradigm and psb in particular) would I be stupid for not jumping at them, also who are the sources for these (paradigm in particular)
mkaes
I just wanted to echo your observation, I too have seen a lot of those speakers (paradigm and psb) for sale here, on ebay, and on various web sites in the past 3 months. I have also seen sonic frontiers (another canadian compnay) products offered at substantial savings. I would speculate that that there may be a lot of these in the market, driving the prices down, which happens from time-to-time in the biz....but I am just guessing. I don't think there is anything wrong with the speakers, so go for it if you like the sound.
I suspect the reason you are seeing the Canadian equipment for so cheap is the exchange rate between our currencies. While in Vancouver last summer I picked up a Bryston 3B amp for a friend brand new from a dealer there. It cost me only $1100 and change ship directly to his door in CAlifornia via UPS 2 day. He paid $100 duty. I think that amp sells for 1700-1800 in the states. This same dealer had the PSB's and with the exchange they were 40% off. Hope it helps.
I agreee that PSB and Paradigm offer tremendous dollar value. I know one of the guys selling on-line (canada hi fi.com)? He is excellent to deal with and extremely customer oriented. I purchased a pair of Stratus mini's from him and was very satisfied. His professional approach and the great product makes for an unbeatable combination.
Uh-oh, the cat is out of the bag. To sweeten the deal, I understand that products made in Canada and USA can be shipped duty free because of NAFTA. I also understand that you can also claim the 7% GST back if you are a visitor to the great (and humble) Dominion of Canada. Regards,
I changed the subtitle to the post, because I think the Canadian audio industry is cranking out some of the best and highest-value sound gear being made anywhere! Those who have read my posts over the past year know (and maybe are sick of hearing) that I really look for high value in my audio gear. Equipment such as Bryston sounds great, is reasonably priced, and has a bullet-proof warranty. The many Canadian speaker manufacturers (Paradigm, PSB, Coincident, and others) have benefitted from the use of the Canadian National Lab which has excellent design facilities that are available to private manufacturers. So, when it comes to Canadian high-end audio gear, we have the felicitous situation of excellent design, highly skilled and committed labor, and a weak currency exchange rate. No, I'm not a Canadian citizen, but I am sure impressed with the contribution that Canadian high-end audio is making to our hobby. Go Canucks!!