How to Solve Duplicate File Problem on iTunes

I find that I have three or four copies show up in my itunes folder for just about every album I have. Itransferred all my CDs to itunes (Apple Lossless format) a couple of years ago. The only exceptions are recent files I added (new CDs). Is there a way to remove these duplicate references? I'm not sure why they're showing up. I have had one or two harddrive fails, and I created a backup directory for music at one point, which have have had something to do with it - but it should be a backup, not a duplicate.

Any help would be apprecaited in knowing how to remove these dupes, and on keeping proper backup going forwrd.

Am using a PC, iTunes, all Apple Lossless files. Am also open to changing to another interface as long as it's convenient. I do like the itunes remote access via iphone though..
128x128outlier
I'am glad to see this post. I am uploading my collection now. I changed my drive from the C: to an external 1tb for storage and had the same problem. Since I wasnt too far into it, I just deleted them all and started from square one. Still some of them are loading in dbl or tripple. No too many, but still I'd like to fix it.
I will say that the quality with lossless played through my Benchmark DAC-1 USB is tremendous. Lets see if you get your answer.
Regards, John
Are the extra albums exactly alike or does some of the cuts appear under one title and the rest under another?

I ask because iTunes thinks multiple artists on the same album should have another cover folder. There is a way to resolve this in preferences.

I'm now four weeks into working on my Mac Mini music server and still don't have it working "perfect."

Sound is another whole issue, I refuse to put it in my system until it's like I want.
There's a "display duplicate" function under the "file" pull down menu. You should then be able to "delete" unwanted songs from the library. Be careful not to delete the actual song files.