Magneplanar Tympani Obsession

Following many helpful posts regarding 3.6s vs MG-20s, I have become Tympani obsessed. Can someone explain the configuration and vintages of the model? Also, would it be possible to mimic the apparently amazing Tympani soundstage by using 4-6 panels of late model Magneplanars? Thank you very much.
cwlondon
ello cwlondon exuse my english is not good i am a french from montreal canada actually me worcking a old tympany 1d my electronic is classic 120 monoblock, sp14 preamp, roxan attessa cd transport, micromega duo pro mk2 converter, and old tehcnics sp10 turtable my rom is 17 x 30 x 8 at the past yers me utilising the tympani IVa is not good for me becose the rebon tweter is not good for the hi freckenci ( is my opinion) me a smout men me listening a 5 hours par day me sale my IVa and return my old tympani 1d the tympani 1d consiste a 6 panels total system 2 for the tweter and 4 for a mid bass panels. the tweter panel is puchbull is 2 membrane side by side this tweter is fabulous is spatial detail not metalic (rebon) the imaging of this speckers is fabulous more for the mg20 the mg 20 just little more bass not more imaging. the many guy prefere the more neutral sond me prefere more big sondstage for the orckestral music for more communication my email is [email protected] - ps the tympani 1d is ridicoulus price for the marcket 800 and 1000 depending the condition good lock
I have a pair of Tympany IVA's, which I bought new at least 13 o14 years ago. They are wonderful, but...They are extremely sensitive to placement. When I have moved, it will take me one to two years or more to get them optimally positioned again! You have to crank them up fairly loud to get them to come alive, though I may be underpowered. I have an Eagle2A on the bottom, and an ARC D70MkII on top, (and an ARC SP10Mk11preamp), and a custom built crossover between preamp and amps. The better the equipment is, the better the sound. Of course, they visually dominate the room. The bass is better than other MG's I have heard, but I haven't heard any since the MG3.5, nor the MG20. I wonder if I would like the MG20's. Can they come alive at moderate volume? Is their bass as good? I would prefer to be able to listen at more moderate volume to preserve my hearing (wouldn't it be tragic if we loose some of our hearing?) They also need a great deal of power which would require me to reconfigure my amplification, which would cost a lot of money, and I would probably have to give up tubes on the tweeters. I believe the Tympany IVA's are the best of the Tympany series for an overall balanced sound. Good bass, very good highs, and a good midrange that requires volume to come alive. I have heard most of the Tympany models, and I like the IVA's the best. In my nearly quarter of a century owning Maggies, I've owned 2A's, 2B's, and 3's. When I bought the Tympany's I felt I had finally arrived. In many ways I still feel that way. So go for them!
Martin -- thanks for the feedback. I have heard arguments that any of the Tympanis might be shamed by the later Magnepans and the 20s, but I agree that there is something very special about them. I don't know but I am imagining that the newer models have improved tweeters which might come alive a bit more at lower volumes. Nonetheless, Tympanis are high on my list subject to available space in my upcoming move.