Avante Garde horn speakers.....

Any impressions?
jman
Sounds very good to me. I'm thinking of trading stocks online myself. Tech stocks are so low now that it seems like a good time to buy a few solvent ones...
I have lived with theDuos for three years now. Having reviewes many hundreds of speakers I cannot say that the integration of the bass is a problem. It is not easy to produce a frequency curve for these speakers as the drive units are effectively so far apart. However, with careful in-room siting, and 3m and 5m measurements you can get a +/-1.5dB flat response from 28Hz to 19kHz. The other thing to remember about bass is that it travels more slowly, but decays less quickly whereas higher frequencies travel faster and decay more quickly over distance. EVERY speaker exhibits this phenomenon. It is more likely that with their minimal cone excursions, that horns with an active sub are the best bet yet. Better that than slow tweeters! The horn material characteristics are also well outside the audible bandwidth. They are rigid enough to do the job of providing a channel for the sound, but their (low) frequency resonances and their mechanical integrities do not impose themselves on the sound passing through. Essentially thay are a 'rigid floppy' channel. The last thing to bear in mind is that the Avantgardes will reveal everything about what comes before them. If your amp or source is flawed, that's where the problem will lie, and not with the speakers. They are only as good (and in most cases (with 18 years or reviewing behind me) better) than most of the available electronics. If you really want to hear what they're capable of try a pre/power amp from Vocale in England. There's no resistor or cap in the signal path, and boy do they let the music through. You can contact Vocale on [email protected] Just think about it. with 100dB+ efficiency, the noise floor with 100watt electronics will make more noise than the signal on a 100watt amp....... before you get deafened.
I had the privilege to be invited to hear AG Trio last week. AudioNote shop set it up with a pair of $200k GakuOn or OnGaku monoblocks, I forgot which. The sound was overwhelming and really large for the small listening room i was in. But the mid & high freq clarity is fantastic on a wide range of music/vocal selection. This didn't bother me because I wouldn't mortgage my house to buy that setup. That was the best 1-hr i had in my whole audiolife! BTW for the Horn Loading Physics folks, there's an old website forum (www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/4048.html) Phil.
I agree too. They fit in with my decor and my husband thinks they're great. It took a while to convince him to buy them, though. He wouldn't swop them now! We use the vocale amps too. The New Tube is taking them on I think; a reall good match.
I agree too. They fit in with my decor and my husband thinks they're great. It took a while to convince him to buy them, though. He wouldn't swop them now! We use the vocale amps too. The New Tube is taking them on I think; a reall good match.