General transport Question

I am currently using an Arcam FMJ-23T to feed my Dodson DAC-263. I am also experimenting with various DIPS in between.

My question is what value having a dedicated transport would be as opposed to using a CDP as a transport. I am also considering a modded unit like Sony DVP-S7700 or Pioneer DV-47A.

I guess I am looking for input as to what the best way to go would be, if any. Would a new transport or modded player provide a big improvement. What units (new or modded) should I consider? There does not seem to be a ton of talk about transports, or reviews of them available.

Thanks

Eric
ehoehn
Hello, Eric!
I am also wrestling with this question at this time. My humble opinion is that what matters most is the lack of jitter emanating from the CD player's (or transport's) digital interface and not whether the machine also has DACs and an analog output stage inside it as well as a CD transport mechanism. The problem is, as far as I know, there is no way to know what these jitter numbers are for most machines out there. I have been trying to determine if my Sony CDP-XA7ES is as good a transport as a Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 and there is simply no information, or even opinions on this question out there. Common sense says that the SFT-1 blows the Sony away in spite of the Sony's transport mechanism being a work of industrial art. But where is the empirical data?
Common sense would also tell us that a transport is the easiest component to measure and validate its accuracy - you either have the exact data at the correct time interval or you don't. And repeatable validation tests would be equally easy. But instead all I ever hear about the "best" transports is that they have the most analog-like sound. Hah?
Getting a better digital cable is the answer. Transports make a difference but a better cable will offer greater improvements from my experience. Borrow a few from your local dealer and find out for yourself.

Happy Listening.
Jafox,

There is a local guy in New Jersey who has the same CDP as you but he modified it and it betters many other CDPs and also separates we compared it to. We tried many transports adn we always came back to the digital cable as offering the greatest improvement. His Pioneer is simply fantastic.

Happy Listening