Naim Cd Players

I am new to audio and considering Naim cd players. Does it use a different,"DIN" cable or RCA?
Also does this company have a service department?
samuellaudio
I own a CDS3. It is one of the best cdp I've heard and is certainly competitive with top transport/DAC combinations. The CDS3 replaced a Sony SCD-1 SACD player. The CDS3 handily beat the SCD-1, even when the SCD-1 was playing an SACD. I've also auditioned a number of other top CD and SACD players and DAC -- the EMM, dcs, Aero Capitole, etc. The only transport/DAC combinations that I clearly preferred over the CDS3 was a VERY pricey Audionote combination (DAC-5 signature/47Labs transport).

I've heard all of the current Naim lineup. I personally do not particularly care for the CD5i. It is not that it is a bad player, but the CD5x is so dramatically better -- much more weight in the midbass/lower midrange, excellent and portraying complex harmonic structure of the music. Of course, the CDS2, particularly with the same power supply as the CDS3, is better than the CD5x, but the improvement is quite subtle. This makes the CD5x the bargain of the lot. There is a bigger difference between the CDS2 and CDS3 than between the CDS2 and the CD5x, so the premium price of the CDS3 is easier to justify. The CDS3 sounds dynamic and is able to recreate the proper scale of a large orchestra. It is able to get the sharp transient attacks of notes right, with less of a mechanical quality than the CDS2, and the decay of the notes and sense of space around instruments is fantastic. However, if you are looking for the ultimate in creamy, utterly grainless and seductively caressing experience, its the Audionote DAC5 or DAC4.
I have to agree with Larryi, that for anyone considering a Naim CDP, the upgrade from CD 5i to CD5x is well worth the money, if you can scrape it up. The overall, more-of-everything-good difference was palpable. It ought to be for around twice the cost.

I did think the CD5i paired with the Nait5i outperformed the sweet little Creek integrated/CDP combo in about the same niche. But, the latter would still be a very nice office or bedroom set up, and will come in a few hundred dollars less.

Experience and some good advice has taught me to be wary of outboard DACs hooked up to different brand, one-box CD players. Some such pairings may work well, but I've heard some that do not.
I tried Naim cd5, cdx2 and even anxps2....they just didnt do it for me...not that they were bad, they weren't. I just found them too electronic sounding...and a cdx2 with an xps2 is quite expensive...I found myself when listening to Naim cd players wanting to turn on my Linn Ikemi...which I prefer...I have an open mind so I certainly would try their newer ones...but as always to each his own.
Ben--

Now THAT is what I call irony--or, more accurately, a terrific example of different preferences. I've heard the Ikemi extensively, and thought my CDX was significantly better--more dynamic, more involving, more muscular and controlled. That said, the Ikemi is definitely smoother sounding!

Kinda funny--because I've got all Linn electronics (Kairn, LK280/Spark) and Linn speakers.....

Kudos to you for trying them!

Best,

Bob
Hello thats what makes the audio world go round etc, I too have some Linn equipment as well as tubes,No question naim cd players do have a dynamic sound..to each his own,thanks.