Sony SCD-C 555ES

Just purchased this used, set it up and am disappointed in the performance, both redbook and SACD. Compared to my Cal Audio CL 10 - it has little soundstage, no depth or width, and seems quite bright. I expected this on redbook performance, but it doesn't change much on SACD.
I'm going to assume that the previous owner slimply didn't play it enough to break it in.
If I decide to allow it to run for another 100-150 hours do I have to turn on all my equipment or can I just leave the Sony on alone. Does break-in require your whole sysytem to be on?
danbern3aolco
Meech33:

When the SCD-C 555ES first came out , it was an $1800 machine. With all due respect to the modification minded community ... for that kind of scratch, changing the sonic character of a unit should not be the first line of defense ... especially when the unit has a reputation for sounding a certain way. Pull the mod trigger, if your goal is to get a $1800 unit to sound like a $4000 unit with $750 worth of mods. But if your goal is to get the unit to sound the way that it is purported to sound, keep the mod gun holstered. In the case of the SCD-C 555ES, SONY has a ton of information in the user's manual that is not intuitive with just a cursory examination of the unit's controls. And to Dan, I'm glad that it all worked out in the end.

Regards, Rich
Congratulations! The Audiogoners again to the rescue. Yes, this should be a fine sounding player, especially on SACD. I think that with good source material and a mid level or better system, this player doing the SACD thing should flat out make some really good sound.

Enjoy it!
Now that the thing is singing i'm going to look at other sacd source material, as Howie suggested. any ideas besides opus or concord samplers ?
Dan,

Now that you're singing try the following on SACD...

1. Mark O'Connor "In Full Swing"
2. Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks"
3. Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed"
4. The Thorns "The Thorns"
5. Blood Sweat & Tears "Blood Sweat & Tears (2nd album)"

and on redbook CD ...

1. Le Violon Vagabond - Graf Mourja & Nathalia Gous
2. Round About Monteverdi - Richie Beirach
3. Brahms Piano Quartet #1 - Agerich

Regards, Rich