Sony SCD-C 555ES

Just purchased this used, set it up and am disappointed in the performance, both redbook and SACD. Compared to my Cal Audio CL 10 - it has little soundstage, no depth or width, and seems quite bright. I expected this on redbook performance, but it doesn't change much on SACD.
I'm going to assume that the previous owner slimply didn't play it enough to break it in.
If I decide to allow it to run for another 100-150 hours do I have to turn on all my equipment or can I just leave the Sony on alone. Does break-in require your whole sysytem to be on?
danbern3aolco

Showing 2 responses by trelja

I would let it break - in more.

While I don't own a 555, I do own a 333, and it errs exactly on the opposite side of bright. It is full bodied, rich, and features strong bass, but not harsh highs. Its weaknesses are that in resolution, clarity, detail, and most of all, speed.

And, as yours is mulitchannel, are you sure the player is set up correctly? I have seen many a multichannel player(especially, Marantz) sound pretty bad when playing through the incorrect(and default) mode.
Congratulations! The Audiogoners again to the rescue. Yes, this should be a fine sounding player, especially on SACD. I think that with good source material and a mid level or better system, this player doing the SACD thing should flat out make some really good sound.

Enjoy it!