CD Players with Analogue Sound

A lot of us have traversed all parts of the planet in that never-ending quest to find..... the CD player with that lush, analogue sound.
jcidulka
Post removed 
Audiomeca Mephisto IIx -- the new kid on the block -- I presume this will be the top dog IMHO. I don't believe there are any in the US yet, but they will be here very soon.

With its upgraded power supply, I expect this unit to have increased impact, making it more appropriate for a wider variety of music.

Other than the IIx, there are quite a few CD players available which have what some proclaim as "analog like sound" however the trouble is that the digital format itself offers music so far from true analog sound that no CD player can realistically "fix" the damage. Often listeners presume the electronic-effects of a good CD player as being analog like (warmer, richer sound) but the truth is, analog has a sense of completeness that digital lacks. Don't let a warm sounding digital front end fool you. That is not "analog like". There is simply more music in an analog recording and no CD player is going to make more music out of a CD. Yes. There are some very, very nice digital recordings out there -- they sound fantastic. But think of how good they would sound if all the music was captured in analog & put on a 45RMP record.

It all boils down to the source. How much of the music is left on the material. Hey.. what's the most analog sounding MP3 player out there?? (just kidding)

For the best sound in digital at various price points, the choices are the following:

Budget Setup for those who want 1st rate sound at under 1500 bucks (used). -
Transport: EAD T7000 or Theta Data II (simply awesome)
DAC: Audio Note -- This offers a great upgrade path i.e. start with the DAC 1x and work your way up. The transports are flakey -- go to the Theta for better reliability.

One Box -

Small Scale Jazz -
Audiomeca Mephisto II (or the new IIx)

Rock and High Impact Classical
Electrocompaniet EMC1 MKII

All around performer
#2 Audio Aero MkI (I don't trust the MKII but admit to know very little about it - I only know what I've read on this unit regarding reliability)
#1 Linn CD12
Electrocompaniet EMC-1 MkII. No digital glare AT ALL! And no tube plumpness or rolled top octave, either. Yippee.