Philips 1000 vs 963 for 2 channel. Which one ?

i am in between a phillips 963 and the philips 1000.

from what i have gathtered the 1000 is a better built machine despite a noisy drawer.

how do the two compare on redbook ? the unit would be only for 2 channel playback.

i have heard the 963 and it is a great sounding unit but the construction leaves little to be desired.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks !!

mike
mikesinger
thanks for the comeback. are there any onther caveats on the 1000 that one should be aware of ?

thank!!!!

mike
Philips doesn't have any part for the 1000. So if it breaks down you have a boat anchor.. Some people with warranty have had their money refunded but.... without warranty !?!?
I just got my check in the mail today from my refund. I sent mine in for service on 4/22 & never heard back until today. I guess they don't have any parts?!?
"Both players had Virtual Dynamics cryoed PC and were somehow broken in_963 has 50 hours, 1000 way more. "

Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could explain this statement to me. I am not familiar with some of the terms you have used. Thanks for your time. Jason
Philips SACD 1000(I still own but will be selling) is not that great a CD player. It has a smooth coherent presentation but lacks transparency and speed. It can be a bottleneck for certain systems. The SACD is a step below the sony 999es (i also own) but still good. It is great as a mod platform because of built. 963 is better on redbook due to upsampling and it's a better DVD player with the Faroudja chip.
I suggest 9000ed or 999es for a music weighted sys..