Do materials alter frequencies and speed?

Does anyone manufacture cables made from premium copper, silver and carbon? Would the combination be additive or muddy?
deckhous
Gregm is right. Dynamics involves several things - not just dynamic range which is noise floor related. I was referring to slew rates but typically, cables have less impact on slew than p-n junctions and circuit bandwidth so the point is academic.

I took "combination" to mean configuration. It is meaningless to talk about just the materials since their configuration plays a significantly larger role than material resistivity alone.

"At what point does an increase in inductance and capacitance cause an audible impact on dynamics?"

No one knows for sure - there are simply too many variables.

Arthur
My perception of the impedance issues which have been brought up seems at least partially corollary...
Source components have unique reactive impedance characteristics comprised of a resistive component, an inductive component, a capacitive component. Terminating (load) components also have these characteristics although they typically don't match the source component's reactive signature. Then add the connecting cables' complex impedance (which is yet again different from source & load reactive component) into this complex impedance network. The source impedance doesn't match the load impedance, & the transmission line impedance matches neither.
These mismatches are a guaranteed formula for signal-reflections which result in standing waves. Propagation delay of various frequencies within the bandpass differs significantly. The result is a smearing of the signal throughout the transmission process of simply coupling a waveform from one box of components to the next box.
Considering the radically varying complex-impedance network of everyone's own unique combination of audio componentry & interconnecting cables, it's not too hard to understand why (obvious differences aside) no two rigs sound quite alike, and why a cable moved from one system to another system can sound so very different.
My impression is that people like to throw myths and wive's tales together
with things that are half-true and extrapolate from that into the land of the
hypothetical based on hypothetical on top of wishful thinking.

I had a strong feeling that no one was going to be able to tell me anything
solid about this affect on dynamics, how it is measured, or if there is anything
to back any of this.

What isn't in dispute in this discussion is that it is desirable to have low
capacitance and inductance. But, we also know that several very expensive
cables exhibit far higher inductance and capacitance than 10 guage Zip Cord
(See table referenced above). If there *was* any solid proof that higher
capacitance and inductance -- at the levels exhibited by these expensive
cables -- degrade the performance of these cables with regard to dynamics
-- that would be interesting. Especially, perhaps, to the owners of those
cables. But, since there apparently isn't anything solid, "No one
knows for sure -- there are a lot of variables." We don't really have
anything.

Yes, we do know that the configuration matters most if one is attempting to
manipulate inductance and capacitance, but this just supports the counter-
point that materials -- silver versus copper -- matters least. And that's the
answer to the original question. If capacitance, resistance, and inductance
matter most with regard to dynamics, a whole lot of expensive speaker cables
do not measure as well as 10 guage Zip Cord (see table referenced above) nor
do they provide more linear frequency response (see frequency response
charts included in referenced article).
Thank you Bob. Coming from an EE with an open mind and years of audio experience, your summary was both brief and technically excellent ( as usual ). I couldn't have said it any better and i surely couldn't have done it as briefly as you did. Kudo's to you for an excellent post : ) Sean
>
Frequencies and speed is not accurate to describe the effect. Geometries aside (spacings and wire gauge etc) , materials in cables have several effects, both insulation and metals. Lets start with metals:

The crystal lattice in the metal can cause reflections in the cable, because they are impedance discontinuities. These occur at very high frequencies, but this does not mean that they will not become audible. Depends on whether the driver reacts to these reflections or not. most of the time, this is audible and sounds like sibilance on top of the high-frequency information in the music. Metal purity, choice of metals, cryo treatment and other factors affect this.

The insulation has several effects as well. Besides the obvious effect on capacitance per unit length, the dielectric material absorbs charge and releases it when transients occur. Depending on the material, it is not completely released either. In general, if the time-constant of the material release is slower than the time-constant of the transient, smearing will occur. Dielectrics with a lot of air will usually have the least dielectric absorption effect. The effect of this is usually a loss of HF dynamics, often described as a roll-off, but technically it isn't.