Used DAC or Used CD Player???

Any recommendations on whether to spend about $1500 on a used DAC such as Levinson 36, or just buy a used player like Rega Jupiter--or something like this?

My current player is a marantz cd-63SE, so this would be the transport. Amp is MF A3cr, Preamp is classe cp-35, speakers are platinum solos
platsolos
I have a CD67SE ... on its own it's not a very good transport since there is quite a lot of jitter on the digital out. So if you go the DAC route be sure to either buy a DAC which resamples and reclocks the data stream to remove jitter, or buy a Monarchy DIP or similar to reduce the jitter. I use a Monarchy audio 22A DAC and the DIP made more difference than the DAC on its own, indicating that the CD67/63 sound is more jitter limited than DAC or output stage limited.

In summary I think a CD63SE may not be capable of justifying a $1500 DAC. My DAC and DIP cost $350 together and made a good improvement over the CD67, but the CD67 is still the weak link.
I have a 63se which I combined with a Monarchy 18B and the 24/96 DIP. A great result for WELL under half of your budget of $1500. I agree with seandtaylor99, the DIP made the biggest improvement. You may consider replacing the captive power cord on the 63se with an IEC connector. I did, and the results with power cables have been great. Got it done by a qualified tech for around $50 U.S.

The Levinson is a great peice and for the price it will be vey hard to beat the sound. I would also replace the cd63 with a levinson 37 transport down the line but the cd63 will do fine until you get the 37 good luck
I wouldn't keep the Marantz. I have the same 63se. At least in my experience, the Marantz proved to be an average transport. For $1500, you can get a great CD player or trans/dac at used prices. Or, check out tweakaudio.com. This Ric fellow is modifying dvda and sacd players.

Personally, I got the Alpha/Delta for about half your budget, and I am very happy.
I think my issue now is...I can get the monarchy 18B with the DIP for less than $500 total. Would this investment be worth it? Would this combo sound as good as the rega planet or jupiter or any other $1500 player??

I am trying to cheap out right now, and although i can spend $1500 in the future for something, I cannot spend that right now.

Should I wait to afford the new cd player for around $1500, or just spend the $500 now and suck it up for about 1.5 years till I can afford levinson separates?