Idler wheel drive vs Belt

I noticed in the last day a frenzied bidding on an EMT 930 (plus arm/cartridge, etc) that went for $6.5Gs. Lots of money for a vintage kit. I also read some laudatory comments on the venerable Garrard 301 with boutique plinths. Anybody out there have experience with such, and can comment on whether I should abandon my purchase of a Teres and go for a 'transcription' turntable like Garrard 501 (with Schroeder DPM). Those vintage designs have lots of torque as they were used in radio stations, but don't seem to have close tolerance bearings or heavy platters. Yet some have thrown some serious positive comments on these vintage solutions. Is the magic real, and what contributes to it?
(I am not going to blow $6G on an EMT930 any day soon).
divo
This was taken from the Dirct Drive site.

A huge advantage of a direct-drive record-player is the fact, that the whole mechanical system consists of just one moveable part (the combined motor-shaft/platter-bearing) which turns quite slow and has a big mass (the platter) attached to it - almost a mechanical ideal for quiet rotation. The resonance of the combined motor/bearing assembly lies in the range of 0,5 Hz due to its slow speed compared with the 50/60Hz resonance of the motor of a typical belt-driven turntable. All belt - or idler-driven record-players incorporate a lot of mechanical parts for adapting the fast speed of the motor to the comparably slow speed of the platter. Each of this parts implies an own sonic footprint by inducing resonances and suffering from bearing-tolerances in this more or less complex mechanical system. Another advantage of good direct-drive decks is speed-stability.
The german magazine "Audio" once measured the frequency of a 3kHz burst played through a belt-driven state of the art turntable system. There were 4Hz missing! To compensate for the effect of slowing the platter during heavy modulations you need a fast and precise regulation and rigid coupling between the motor and the platter. Compare this to your typical belt-drive deck... Some might argue that a very heavy platter won't slow down because of its sheer mass - this is not the case. Even worse - when the motor regulation tries to speed up this platter will react much slower than a light one. It's like driving a mountaineous way with a truck - I would prefer a Porsche. Coupling the motor to a heavy platter with a string is questionable, too. Whoever changed the tension of the string of a Platine Verdier (platter weight around 50pds.) knows what I mean. Some enthusiasts take even tape instead of a belt to improve coupling the motor to the platter. Now speed stability may improve but there is no filtering of motor resonances any more...
Negative effects of the needle slowing the platter during heavy modulations are best avoided by incorporating a fast and precise speed-regulation, a not too heavy platter rigidly coupled to a strong motor (best the platter is bolted to the motor like with the Technics SP-10Mk2). With such a deck speed-fluctuations during playing a Wagner opera will eventually become neglectable.
Ok, if I am forced to comment on these drive systems, I'll just say that the application is the key to how well any of them will perform.

It has been clearly shown that all of the drive systems mentioned have been capable of excellent performance, in certain turntables.

It is up to the buyer to determine which turntables have the proper application of their respective designs.
There's no question that you can get great sound from any of the drive systems. For great music, I'll go with the Lenco. And did. Dave
Dear Jean: As I already told you, I have to try it. When somebody impulse any project with the excitement and emotion that you have it's time to " heard " it not to argue.

Go a head !.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Hey, I have a Micro Seiki 1500FVG and Linn LP-12 and a Teac TN-400 and a Thorens 125 and a few others. Hell, they all sound good to me.