Quest for Audiophile Zen

I would like to apologize at the outset for what will seem yet another thread involving personal 'drama' without the benefit seemingly of any possibility of becoming provocative or interesting. However, I must head off the threat of emminent psychological demise attendant with having a stereo system that is not getting me where I need to be. I am currently using an Adcom gcd750 cd player in a system with stealth m-7 silver wires, an evs passive through a llano s200 into thiel 3.6 speakers. My system is bright and harsh and needs somewhat better control in the low frequencies. My first impulse is to upgrade the adcom and my budget will be $2000 max. Despite faithfully reading all the posts in audiogon and audio asylum, I have never been able to answer the above to my satisfaction. I would be extremely appreciative of any input from one of my more experienced audiophile collegues so that I can optimize my investment to get the best possible sound\$ Ratio.
Thanks
jph1
Gotta start with the Thiels in the room.
First order crossovers can require careful placement, and most Thiels sound a bit uptilted in any but the deadest rooms. Blah, blah, blah...we all know this.
Here's a smaller bit of it, though:
I was REALLY surprised at how floating my previous old CDP (Rotel 855) on a Neuance iso-shelf, although NOT changing the sound spectrally, but by improving the coherence of the frequency range resulted in a more unified, musical integrity that allowed me to accept some brightness because
`of improved resolution. Pretty interesting. I'd try popping your Adcom on a Neuance before replacing it or smothering it with a too-warm cable. You don't want to suck the air out of it.
Does your room have wall-tp-wall carpeting? Are you absorbing first reflections off the sidewalls? The point is to tame the 2-6kHz stuff without rolling off the 10-20kHz air.
Good luck.
I am using a chang power cord for the amp and an audioquest ac-15 for the cd player. I also use a chang lightspeed 9600 for the amp and have a MIT z-isolator plugged into it for the cd player. I plan to upgrade cords. I want to thank everyone for their constructive input. My main area of concern, however was opinions regarding upgrading the adcom gcd750 cd player. I am leaning towards a modified sony 9000es, resolution audio cd55 or arcam fmj23. Any other suggestions or feedback on the above? thanks
Dump the metal domed, harmonically thin 3.6's - way over-rated current hogs. Sorry, but someone's gotta say it... I can't even imagine how harsh 3.6's would sound running Adcom up front through a passive. Its frightening.

Seriously though, here's what I'd do: sell the 3.6's - some long time follower of Stereophile will buy them - and get a Coincident used that can be used with lower powered amps yet is relatively full ranged; sell the LLano because you don't need to dump all that current into the 3.6's massive crossover anymore and get a nice integrated tubed amplifier, say, a used AirTight ATM300 (since you go integrated you can take the LLano $ plus the passive $ plus a bit more and hopefully flag a ATM300 at $3500); dump the MIT and go with Goertz because you don't need the MIT to roll off the Thiels anymore (although Leoturetsky makes a good point above); if you can find any money then upgrade the CD, and only pump $ into the power when these other things are fixed. Good luck.
Wow. Really don't like the Thiels, Asa? Are Coincident speakers as clear as Thiels for the same price or lower? I'm just curious. I wouldn't give up my Thiels for anything for many reasons, clarity being one of them.

Thanks, leo.