Help me discover some new music...

Hi, Gang,

My rig is finally at a level that I don't feel a great need to invest in new gear. Rather, I'm looking for new music to discover. I feel like I'm listening to a lot of the "same old stuff."

I listen to mostly rock and pop, with a little orchestral/soundtrack music thrown in and a bit of jazz, too.

Here's what I know and love:

Steely Dan (including Becker and Fagen solo efforts)
Sade
James Taylor
Beatles
Dire Straits
Bonnie Raitt
Eagles
Paul Simon
Some classical Chesky LP's
Joe Jackson
Ingrid Michaelson
Chicago
Basia
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Earth Wind and Fire
Supertramp
Queen

,,, and a lot of other things I'm not thinking of right now.

Anybody want to be my "Pandora" and suggest things I should check out? Great music is primary, but great sonics also appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
rebbi
If you've never heard it: Thelonious Monk's 'Monk's Music'. Just my humble opinion, of course. Great intro to Monk with John Coltrane and Coleman Hawkins (and Gigi Gryce and Art Blakey come to think of it). Everyone should know a little Monk. It's central to knowing jazz.
Donjr:
Could it be possible that all the great art has already been created? That there is nothing left to say. Think about that for a moment. I didn't mean to imply that I think current performers should just play the same thing as their predecessors. But there is no greatness. It's all bland. No game changers. It has all become 'visual'. How you look and act is more important than what you are 'saying'. And it is not limited to music. Hollywood is not spared. Where are the great classical composers? Ballet? Opera? All the great art being performed today was created by people long dead. Seems as if the older actresses have a lock on the Oscars, and with good reason! i.e. British Babes.
When PBS wants to raise money what show do they put on, the old guys from the 60s. Way pass their prime, but, more popular than the current crop.

I get what you said about music evolving from the previous generation of artist, but we have a break in that chain now. If Sonny Boy and Wolf led to the Stones, what have the Stones led to? I think some of the so-called genres, are actually evidence of the lack of talent. Metal, anything with the word 'comtemporary' in front of it. i.e. blues, gospel, country jazz, Blue grass. Just watering it down so the current group can excel. Did I mention Jazz?

I wish the OP well. I am just saying, maybe a Look back, is the place to start. It's cheaper and will be more rewarding musically, in all genres save Classical.
Thanks for the post.
Cheers
What a wonderful thread this has turned into! You guys are great. So many good ideas here, thank you.

Chayro, thanks for the small-scale classical suggestion. The long/ponderous thing with big, symphonic works is an issue for me, so going more toward chamber music makes some sense.

Again, I'm grateful to everybody for mentioning all kinds of stuff I've never heard of, and for the suggestions of streaming services and web sites to spice up the search. Thanks for your interest, time and passion for music!

Two factors, I guess, pushed me over the edge in wanting to explore new music.

1) I'm now happy enough with my rig to not feel the constant need to tweak, so I've actually been exploring my music collection more completely again.
2) I have long adored Steely Dan and Donald Fagen, but I found his most recent album to be a disappointment, and it got me thinking: "My musical tastes are still too much stuck in high school (and yikes, I'll be 55 in a few weeks!)... time to shake things up!" :-)
I understand what you're saying Rok. There's only so many combinations of riffs, chords, scales etc. if we're only talking about rock, there's been some stand outs I could think of. Did you ever hear of a band called Morphine from the 90's? They were groundbreaking. How about Jack White?

There's still people composing classical music. I live in a city with one of the top music schools in the U.S. Its the Eastman School of Music. Renee Fleming is one of our claims to fame. We just started a school of pop music ( the first in the world) in hopes to inject some actual musical talent back into pop music. We have to invest in our future. The best you and I can do is to not watch the talent shows on television. Buy the music of the talented few. Support good musicians by attending their shows. This world is changing fast and it looks like we can no longer sit back and wait for the next great artist. We have to demand it and support it. I can already see what budget cuts in the arts is doing to this world. Part of my hobbie in hifi is an investment in the future of our artists, no matter what country they're from. It was in fact music that got me to this forum. Not my hifi.
I see Miss Fleming quite often in the British music magazines. A great talent and beauty. The articles in the English magazines tend to illustrate your statements about encoraging and supporting our arists. The Brits / Europeans seem to do a great job of that. I agree with all your points. And since the average cable on this site costs more than my entire system, you know music is the reason I am here also. :)

I am not familiar with Morphine or Jack White, but I will make it my business to get to know their work. I didn't know about the pop music school. Glad to hear it.
Thanks for the post. very informative.
Cheers