Analog Upgrade Suggestions Welcome

I am thinking of making several upgrades to my current analog rig.

Current system: click here

First, I am thinking of upgrading my VPI HW19 MKIII to the MKIV. I would like those with first hand experience to tell me if the upgrade is worth the money, and what I can expect to hear in improvement. I am currently using the SDS and SAMA modifications.

Second, I am thinking of upgrading my cartridge. My Sumiko Talisman Alchemist IIb is almost 15 years old and is ready for retirement. Some A'goNers have recommended the Shelter 501. I didn't want to spend more than $1000 for a cartidge as the majority of my listening is still redbook CD. I am open to other suggestions. I want the best cartridge for the money. Also, I am leary of buying such a fragile item used. I have heard others on A'goN say they'd never buy a used cartridge. Please share any experiences out there; good or bad.

My current cartridge has an output of 2.0mV which I assume means high output. Will I need a step-up transformer for a low output cartridge? Is the Shelter 501 at 0.4 mV considered low output? My Classe Six preamp has a phono section. The preamp comes with resistors that the user can change out to match the volume control knob position to the level of line components. I assume I'd need to change the resistor I'm using with my current cartridge. Otherwise I'd have to turn the knob way up to get enough gain with a cartridge with an output that's 1/5 that of my current cartridge. Is that correct?

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Cheers!

Mark
mstram
Wasn't romy banned from here before? I frequent many forums besides just Audiogon and this is behavior from those who have been out-cast is nothing new. You see it all the time. It is obvious that he is back with another moniker.
Doug, "Audible Effects of Mechanical Resonance in Turntables" is the name of a paper published by Poul Ladegaard at the 1977 AES convention. It is available for download at www.vinylengine.com --> Forum --> Members download area Miscellaneous, then select "Audible effects of mechanical resonances in turntables".

According to the paper, too low a resonant frequency contributes to: excessive rumble, wow and flutter, tracking force variation, bass intermodulation distortion, and increased susceptibility to feedback. The conclusion of the paper is to recommend resonant frequency in the range of 15-18 Hz.

Msiebers,
I believe that article was more valid at the time it was presented than it is today, due to changes in the analog playback environment.

Only a few turntables that existed in 1977 could match today's better decks for lack of rumble, wow, flutter, etc. Those noise sources were common in many 1970's and older decks (including all of mine!) so isolation from them was critical.

Those noise sources barely exist on today's decent rigs. The problems have changed, for the better of course, so the solutions should change to match them.

Today the most significant vibration sources are footfalls and warps, which mostly fall well below 8Hz, and LF bass information recorded on the record, which can go as low as 16Hz or so on some records. A resonance frequency as high as 18Hz would have a high probability of interacting with music information.

Good job pointing up that article. Reflecting on it shows how much progress analog playback has made in recent decades.

P.S. regarding Raul's concern
The B&W spec for the N803's is -3db @ 35Hz and -6db @ 28Hz. My loose recollection that they go flat to 33 was an overstatement by approximately 4db. Sorry for the inaccuracy.

Obviously they do produce useful, audible information into the bottom half-octave, which is consistent with the audibility of LF bass interference. No doubt speakers which go lower would reveal even more, as you originally stated.
Dear Doug: The B&W specs are at Lab stage. The frecuency response of your loudspeakers in your room or another one it is always worst really worst. That's why I told you that your info about are only " illusions ": +,- 4db at 33Hz? in room?, do really know what are you talking about ?, I think you are an " inexpert " in this area, too.
I repeat again: some one told you that your speakers don't go lowest than 50Hz in a room. In that ocasion I remember your statement that you can hear 20Hz in your 803 speakers, this one was an inaccuracy, too?
Please try to learn about. Where do you left " the book ".
Regards and always enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul,

Your continuing personal attacks on Doug are tiresome, and the longer they continue, the more offensive it all becomes. I wish you would move past this one-upmanship game you're playing; all this looks like is your pique over not being crowned the Audiogon analog guru. In the process of playing this interminable game, it seems to me that you are alienating everyone who regularly posts here. You could become a valued contributor, instead you are making yourself a person many wish to avoid. Surely this can't be your intended outcome? (rhetorical question)

And I'm trying to "enjoy the music", but your trite little closing (given the offensive content of your posts) is ruining it for me every time I see it now.