Why are CD's decling in quality?

When CD came out in the 80's , they were marketed as 'indestructible'. They were built in such a way that they were almost impervious to any scratches and other damage.
As time went on, they declined in quality to the point that you could buy a cd and find it skipped on the first playing. Now many CD's I buy in the 21st Century seem to be incredibly vulnerable to damage. This is very frustrating.
.Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this topic?
Or knowledge of why this has come about
acidfolk
In answer to Hevac1's question, teleportation devices.

Hevac1, are you confusing the dual lasers used for CD/SACD reading with what is used for CD only? Which players, for redbook only, do you know of that use more than one laser?

On the OP's point, I do think, as others have mentioned, that the problem is more with his player than with the CDs themselves, at least from my experience.
Hevac1 wrote,

"So Geoffkait what do they use to read the data from CD's?"

Is this a trick question?
OP here, will see see soon have a new cdp on the way, Still feel you all are wrong but will see,

indestructible is just a metaphor , they were supposed to be impervious to scratches , dust etc, and they were at first
Just check the thick ness of old cds and new ones, also no one replied as to why Japanese ones are better
I also find the Japanese issues of superior sound quality and choose them when available.
The Japanese use 2 different technologies.. SHM-CD and XRCD. SHM-CD uses a special polycarbonate plastic on the data side and allows for more accurate reading by the laser. There is also a SACD version. So the disk material is actually different than regular CDs.

XRCD is a process patented by JVC for producing Redbook CDs; these are the very expensive ones. The source is converted to 24-bit and jitter reduction is applied.
Both formats will play on Redbook CDPs.

I have researched this before I spend $30-50 on a CD.