Thoughts about the new MacMini & Lion OS

I'm wondering what audiophiles who use MacMinis as music servers think about the new MMs that do not have an optical drive.

I'm also wondering what audiophiles think about the Lion OS on a MM that's used primarily for audio playback.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

:) listening,

Ed
istanbulu
You got me on that one Darrell! :>)

BTW, you guys do some great work on the Mac Mini.
So Darrell, it seems you know how to get around the OS backwards restriction.

Closeouts on the previous Mini are out there now and the price is about the same as the new Mini. Decision tree:

If Lion turns out to be a good thing for music servers, either HW choice is fine but the new Mini has more horsepower, so why not.

If Lion is not good for music servers, or at least initially, then the new Mini only works if I can install Snow Leopard on it.

If I can't install Snow Leopard on it, or if that would void the warranty, then a closeout earlier Mini is probably my best best.

Am I missing something?
Thanks Mr. Bill. We do our best.

Coming from the Vinyl world, we have high sound quality expectations and won't sell anything that we wouldn't use in our own systems.

With that, we are working hard to get the 2011 Mac Mini ready soon. The short listen I got to do at lunch was encouraging.

Darrell
www.mach2music.com
Drubin,

I think that folks will come to a consensus in a few days as to weather Snow Leopard can be installed on 2011 Mac Mini. Then your your hardware choice may become easy.

Darrell
www.mach2music.com
Well, we got 3 Mach2 Music Servers setup today. The 2011 does sound better that the 2010, and OSX 10.6.8 will run fine on the 2011 Mini's.

We have 2 on battery power right now, and on running standard. We have found no issues so far.

Darrell
www.mach2music.com