Say it aint so--- Teres quality question

As a preface-- I have been a lurker here at Audiogon for a number of years, but have never posted.

Yesterday a review of the Teres 200 series table was posted at Audioasylum. I am extremely concerned about what was stated.

I have always read fantastic things about the Teres, but this reviewer seemed to consider some issues with regard to quality-- ie:

"Some minor issues...the wood platter is not 100% true on the horizontal surfaces...a very slight rise...I suspect this is the nature of machining wood?" as well as "Product Weakness: Platter slightly off true"

I plan on joining the Teres family -- but have developed some reluctance after reading this.

Perhaps some of the members here with first hand experience will be able to put my concern at ease with regard to the reviewers statement.

Here is a reference to the post:

Review by Angus Black III on January 06, 2004 at 10:35:32

Thank you, and a special thanks to TWL for the always informative reading.

Focusedfx

128x128focusedfx
While I thank everyone for their response thus far to my initial post, I will reiterate what I stated originally:

"Perhaps some of the members here with first hand experience will be able to put my concern at ease with regard to the reviewers statement."

*First Hand Experience* being the operative phrase-- and of utmost importance to me. Many thanks to all those with that experience who have taken the time to post.

It is those with that experience, that the basis for my decisions shall come.

I would like to say that in favor of Chris Brady and Teres- I find the policy stated on the website refreshing.

In part:
..."Our philosophy is to simply take care of our customers regardless of circumstances. If you are unhappy for any reason with a Teres purchase you are entitled to return it for a full refund at any time. If there are problems or questions we provide support and repair as needed, free of charge. No time limits, no limitations, no excuses. We believe that this blanket commitment to customer satisfaction is more mutually satisfying than would be possible with a legal document."

I will however, be seriously reweighing my purchase decision. (although there seem to be but few other tables on my short list at this time.)

One of the things that I value about this avenue of discussion is that often times the manufacturers themselves will post their philosophies, thoughts and feelings. Perhaps this will happen in this case.

Happy Listening,

Focusedfx

Sayas' theoretical speculations are interesting, I guess, but every person who's A/B'd a "stable" acrylic Teres against an "unstable" wood one has preferred the wood. There has never been a single exception. If my real world pleasure isn't consistent with someone's theory I let them fret about it. Life is too short.

David has heard a Teres in the company of quite a few other well-regarded TT's. He's heard exactly what I hear. His question about the long term viability of a wood platter is legitimate, but it's ultimately answerable only by the passage of time. While that time is passing in my home, my deteriorating platter receives the best therapy I can give it: constant gyroscopic stabilization at 33rpm.

300 hours and smilin' more every day...
Pat, I have no problem with any of your statements, since they come from a personal experience with the table. I simply take issue with others' statements which seem to stem from some sort of "theory" which is not borne out from actual use of the turntables under discussion. I can only conclude that there is some other reason for speculation like this, which doesn't come from experience with these units.

Regarding Black Angus' conclusions about "platter slightly off true", what does that mean? A few thou? Half an inch? What? And since it is probably a few thou, which didn't prompt him to worry about fixing it, and he is happy with the performance of the table, aren't some people trying to make something big out of this, when it seems to be a very minor issue in the eyes and ears of the reviewer Black Angus?

Personally, I find your experience to be much more troubling, in that you didn't get immediate attention to your legitimate problem with the armboard. That rests clearly on Chris' shoulders. Hopefully it was just a holiday related issue that won't happen again.
OK, it would appear that only a few of us in this thread have said anything that could even be mildly interpreted as critical of a Teres table. Tom, since I have asked a question of you and you responded only by saying that you have no problems with Patrick’s questions, but DO have problems and suspicions of “others’” remarks, I can only conclude that I am included in the “other” group. My apologies if I misinterpret and, at the risk of taking issue with an Audiogon icon, I do take issue with your comments.

First, let me just say to everyone that I do not have affiliation with any table manufacturer of any kind and I really couldn’t care less what kind of table anyone else buys, provided they are happy and enjoy the music. I highly resent anyone implying otherwise. I have always bristled at those who misrepresent their motives on this board (I have actually called one or two on it myself) and value the integrity upon which my opinions are offered (correct or not). I will add that I do have a friend who owns a stereo shop but I didn’t even buy MY table or any of my components from him - only my cartridge. Besides, his sales are such that Teres sales are hardly a problem for him.

Tom, you have always taken great pains to disassociate yourself of involvement with Teres tables while recommending them and singing their praises at most all opportunities. You have also been fair in your treatment of them in this thread with respect to their need and responsibility to address quality issues. But, if you can do so with no affiliation or bias, why is it that someone who calls to fore possible problems or has design issue concerns is assumed to have ulterior motives? I can assure anyone that this is not the case in my situation regardless of ANYONE’S implication.

I have always questioned the long-term stability of a wooden platter. This is not some reckless “theory”, but is based on a long and thorough background in woodworking methods and wood characteristics. Anyone questioning my own background in the field can be provided umpteen references, including furniture makers in Amana, Iowa where some of the finest furniture and cabinets are produced by truly master craftsmen. And, that is not to say that my expertise trumps all others, only that I don't speak lightly on the topic.

I have personally examined four different Teres tables, three with wood platters, one with acrylic. I can see no evident design features in the wood platters that prove to me that my continued curiosity regarding long-term stability is unjustified, as others have noted. I have seen nothing on the Teres site nor provided by Chris within any threads that satisfy my skepticism, other than his personal assurances and literature as found on the Teres site. As such, I do not consider my views as “theories” of any lesser value than I do “theorized” claims made by Teres. Plus, I cannot afford to buy a platter and cut it open to see its innards. I can cannot prove that their design will not hold up over, say, ten years and neither can they. Time will tell, but having an honest curiosity and wanting to know more about a product’s design does not spell sinister intentions. I actually hope they last forever because I have two very good personal friends who own them, not to mention more than a few “internet friends”.

Further, the idea that someone cannot have a “theory” without having direct experience with the product is silly. A lot of folks have never been in the military but they can, and do, pose valid questions about the use of military hardware in Iraq. OK, maybe not an airtight analogy, but you get the picture. My point is that I do not say folks’ “theorizing” that the wood platter will hold up in the long-term is necessarily wrong or that they have self-serving motives for pumping the Teres design. I only expect equal treatment if I disagree.