Modifications to digital ... SCD777ES

Considering having my SCD-777ES SACD player modded to include Blackgate capacitors, Vishay resistors, Harris diodes, hook-up wire and cardas rca jacks. This could cost around $1000. What improvements would I expect? Is it worth the cost? Who has had this done and can comment? I prefer this over an DAC because improvements would be realized on cd and SACD output. Syst includes Talon Khorus, 777, Aloia Inductive amp/preamp, and Audio Tekne cables. I realize Great Northern Sound "may" offer an output stage board on March but this was originally scheduled for Dec.
128x128mikeg
Has anybody had this mod/re-engineering done by Audience? Or by some other modifier? If so, could you offer some feedback.Thanx in advance
Can't comment on other mods, but, as I've noted in other posts, I've had the Jerry Ozment/Audio Logic tube output stage added to my unit, bypassing the Sony analog stage and its op-amps and power supplies, and am very pleased with the results. If you like the sound of the Audio Logic DAC, and Jerry is indeed doing these mods/bypass operations (he has vascillated on this in the past), it is worth considering. It is an excellent analog stage, using high quality parts, very musical, dynamic and detailed in my opinion. I'd still consider having him rig me an SACD digital out to run from the 777ES into my Audio Logic 2400, but that's gotta wait until they have an industry standard agreed for that interface; in the meantime this does very nicely. Hope to hear how the others like their mods--I would expect big improvements, as the analog stage of the 777 in particular can easily be improved on by a good designer not working to a price point.
Hi all. I performed the Musicoat upgrade that audio_optimizer recommended on my SCD-777ES (see "SCD-1 Upgrade" thread). I treaded all integrated circuit chips, disk shaped capacitors (not can style), axle leaded resistors, diodes, and diode heat shinks. This stuff ($105 shipped) really works. The digital hash is gone, I hear the air pulsating through the wind instruments, the decay is enhanced, i also hear the performer take a breath which I couldn't hear previously (enhanced resolution) on my reference disk, and I know the background noise is lower (I can hear more hiss on a super quiet passage I didn't hear before). I can now increase the volume on my Aloia amp/preamp without hearing so much digital grit/sizzle. Will order more to do amp and preamp. I'll also will purchase the TI shielding (RFI/EMI) to treat my unshielded transformers in the 777. Due to lack of funds will have to wait to send 777 out for component replacements (caps, diodes, resistors). System includes Talon Khorus, 777, Aloia, and Audio Tekne cables.Thanks, Mike
I do modifications to the Sony's. I replace the carbon resistors with vishays, the film caps with REL caps and I
insteal HEXFREDS and Black Gate caps in the power Supply.
My price for these mods is aprox. $300 parts $150 labor.
Your cost will vary depending on the resistors you wish me to put in. The improvement in sound is stunning. Clarity
and Detail are improved at least two to one and the speed
and pace of the bass is excellent. No more slow dark sony sound on cd's. Sacd's are superb. The best part is the
imaging has improved with the sound behind the speakers
and not in your face. The treble is not forward anymore
and the ambiance is clear and clean, not warm and fuzzy
as before. Contact Richard Kern at:
http://www.audiomod.com or email me at [email protected]
I can give you a choice of capacitors and resistors
to put in your sony and a lower price because of this.