Recommend CD Player with Volume Control

I have Magneplanar 3.6Rs and Classe CAM-350 monoblocks and am looking to add a CD player. Since this will be my only source, I am looking for a CD player that has volume control/variable output and I will bypass the preamp. 24 bit, HDCD, and upgradability are definite advantages. Any suggestions in the $2000 price range (new or used)?
ccandte
Ryan, I've not tried the 860x in my home, no. It still rolls off the top octave by 3 dB, though. Anyway, I gurantee the CD50 is better than the 830, by far. Bring your 860 by anytime, when you're in my part of the country. You know what, yes, I absolutely agree that the RA remote sucks (it's a plastic tv remote), but I bet other programmable remotes might work with it, I haven't tried. The player itself looks very nice IMO, in silver, anyway. Just because the chassis doesn't weigh more than your SUV, doesn't mean that build quality is not in keeping with any highend CD player, though. And the electronic components are beyond reproach...as Petland, me, and others know all too well. Yes, others on here have attempted to make a fool of me on issues of digital audio, but I still like Jeff Kalt very much, he is a truly honorable designer. At least he didn't buy a speaker company, and then turn around and have to divide his core company up...
Remember this guys, just as identical systems would sound very different in different rooms, no two sets of ears will hear the same thing, even if those systems were set up in the same room. There are just too many variables; likes, dislikes, age, hearing ability, the amount of hair growing in your ears, etc....
Remember this, Shelton, if it were true that none of us could hear similar things from the same equipment/system/room, then there would be no point in having this forum...remember that, and don't forget it, keep it in your memory...
Carl, read my post again. Of course you will hear SIMILAR things. Just as Ejlif clarified (after you forced him to) that he heard similar things from the CD-50 that you did, it's obvious that he did not hear the SAME things. Your raving passion aout the CD-50, like a positive review from one of the high-end mags, will cause and has caused others to seek out the CD-50. However, after an audition, not everyone will draw the SAME rave, positive conclusions. Your personal preferences are just that, yours!
Read the above again, I found essentially none of the things Ryan found, and my conclusions about this player are mine, and also those of many others. And if you bought one, they'd be YOURS! YOURS!