What Instrument would you listen to?

Ok, this is not the real world, but if you HAD to audition a rig (for purchase) listening to only one acoustic instrument; what instrument would be your lynchpin?
Piano, for me.
128x128warrenh
Solo piano for sure, an instrument I'm very familar with, live and recorded. But as you said, its not the only thing I listen to when auditioning stuff.
Theo, Beethoven's Waldstein sonata is my favorite of the 32 sonatas he wrote. Also, it is a great piece for equipment audition. Very dynamic and engaging. You can listen to it 1000 times and not tire of it, which can be helpful when you are auditioning equipment.
I like to use good recordings of recent vintage for auditions. The Schiff account on ECM of this sonata is a pretty decent recording. Not sure if he used a Steinway or Bosendorfer grand for the Walstein. The Paul Lewis recording of this sonata is also probably very good, but I haven't heard it yet.
Brownsfan, if you don't already have it try to find the 1981 recording on the Astree label of Paul Badura-Skoda performing the "Waldstein" and two other Beethoven Sonatas on an early 1800's fortepiano. I have it on LP as Astree AS73. Not sure if it was ever released on CD. An absolute treasure, musically and sonically!

Best regards,
-- Al