John Dunlavy On "Cable Nonsense"

Food for thought...

http://www.verber.com/mark/cables.html
plasmatronic
I do admit that I think that the MEGA priced cables are so far out of line. So I set out to find the best speaker ( or interconnect for that matter ) cable that I could for the money. I set my speaker cable price at $500. And I found some very good cables at that price. And some that I would not have given you $50 for. My return on investment on cables that cost $3000 could not possibly balance out enough to make me not squirm with guilt ever time I saw those cables hanging off of my speakers. Would I really be getting anything close to 6 times the cable. Me thinks not. But if someone does count it worthy, then head on buddy. But it just doesn't make sense to me. But to say that Ratshack or any standard cable can give better sound than my treasured find. That’s like claiming Bose over Dynaudio. ( Maybe that’s the problem, maybe they are Bose lovers. With Aiwa receivers ).
And if it is the "PLACEBO" effect. Then here is the reality. I am glad that it only cost me $500 and not $3000 to be fooled. HAA!!. If it was true, I would eat my speaker cables. And my speakers. With mustard. I cannot beleive how fooled we are. Us fools who appreciate reproduced music at home must be a pretty gullible bunch. How on earth did we all get the same MOJO all at once. Maybe it was our favorite audio adds?
Sqjudge, how is that possible when you say that audio cables do not act as transmission lines. Take it from an EE who has around a bit much of transmission line theory applies both to Audio and RF. Capacitance is capacitance, inductance is inductance, resistance is resistance and impedance is impedance no matter what frequency you have.
I'll admit that there must be some placebo effect in cabling. I will also admit that there is an audible difference too. For me to tell you all improvements heard are factual is as crazy as those who claim it's all psychological. As many of you know, I have strong beliefs in power cord benefits and have written extensively on my testing. I've started a new mission to try different Interconnects and speaker wires. I will be receiving two pair of the flagship model of hideously expensive speaker wires this week that I bought for 1/10th of the retail price. I also have five different brands of Interconnects on the way. If I end up with these speaker cables, the retail cost of my system will double. That can not be justifiable right? I'll let you know. What I can tell you is power cords alone have allowed me to hear things (the foot pedal on piano as an example) that are simply not audible with stock cords. I need no "blind" testing, it's factually there or not there. If anyone wants to argue that point, please save the effort, I will not acknowledge your short sighted opinion. For me to assume anything but improvement from higher quality speaker wire and interconnects, given my experience with power cords would be hard. If a power cord can qualitatively make an audible difference, then I must assume cables will to. Like I say, I'll let you know. As always I'll be using my blindfold testing with my buddies. Yes this is the "unapproved and non-accredited" by the great AudiogoN science community test, but it's the one I have always used.
It's interesting to note that these speaker cables are copper! I've been a real fan of silver over the years, but remain open to experimenting with other materials. It's been stated in a number of reviews that the lower price siblings of these cables are capable of being more revealing than the silver cables they were compared to. I find it difficult to believe that the reviewers have too much political motivation in that these cables are rarely advertised and not a part of any magazines "top" lists. Just simple marketing and hideous pricing. I will refrain from giving out the brand to try and keep my review as un-bias to the reader as possible. Stay tuned, it should be fun! J.D.
Sqjudge, knowing you from our off air conversations I'll bet your loving Liguy's post. Hey Li... you have no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. Sqjudge, I've been working on a return message, I'll get it off soon. J.D.
Steve, My "Placebo Effect" is in reverse. When I try Radio Shack cables vs multi kilobuck ICs I am praying and rooting real hard that Radio Shack wins the contest. I dont like paying the same price for an IC as an amplifier.It goes against my sense of what is fair and honest. On the other hand, who am I to say to a design engineer that the last five years of testing, scrapping, midnight oil burning,and cost etc.,does'nt warrent the price?
BTW, I have also heard many exotic speaker wires screw up the sound far worse than stranded zip cord. Getting zip cord to sound correct though, is not the way Monster or Sound Connections or the old Levinson company did it. They used too many strands to achieve a given guage and wound up with mud sonically. (here come the morter shells)
Paul, I also concur with your last paragraph......Frank