analog newbie

i am seriously considering getting into the world of analog playback. right now i lack a phono stage, but will likely purchase the tube stage for my rogue 99 preamp, to avoid the expense of a chasis and phono cables. i want to make sure vinyl is something i will continue to collect before making a real investment.
after the rogue phono stage is bought i will have little budget for a new turntable so i am considering using my fathers kenwood table that dates back to the early 1980's, i know it is operational as i used it at least once when i had a preamp w/ phono stage a few months ago.
a few years ago i replaced the cartridge with a grado model, about $50-60, don't recall what model.
i am concerned about damaging some of my lps, particularly about a dozen or so blues lps that were hard to find (hopkins, sonny terry, brownie mghee, memphis slim, furry lewis, etc) the vinyl seems to be in decent condition and i'd like to keep it that way.
so i figure i should replace the cartridge with a new one at about the same price point since this is no kick-ass table.
what can i do on a tight budget to protect my lps, most of which probably need to be cleaned very well before another playback. i was using the simple discwasher system but i get the feeling this was removing surface dust only, and moving it around more than from the lp surface.
can anyone recommend a handwash regimen, in detail as i am a vinyl neophyte, or some other tried and true lp maintenance system to prolong/preserve lp playback?
or am i simply better off with a cleaning machine? some seem to prefer handwashing for truly dirty lps i think and machines for basic maintenance thereafter, do i have this right?
also, what basic tools/accessories should i have on hand for vinyl playback, now or in the future as my budget allows me to become more and more serious.

down the road, if i find vinyl to be something i enjoy, i currently plan on purchasing a basis/graham combo with a decent cartridge from dynavector, ortofon, etc.
fujindemon
There's no anger on my behalf, man! And controversy is not misbehavior, much less referring to medieval times. I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you or anyone in this thread. Why are you so upset?

I just have had a reputation since being in junior high of being able to stirr things up, not get involved and watch...

I did post on that rap high end speakers thread and what happened to me is true.

Regarding your reaction to this whole trivial matter, I have a suggestion that if you follow you'll thank me for the rest of your life: I invite you to live an advanced lifestyle:

www.lifespringusa.com
psychic-

the hockey reference was meant to be humorous, as was your post. i'm not at all upset.

and just out of curiosity, do you use one of those personal-coachy-folks? i've heard of 'em, but only in passing on npr. . . .
No, I don't use personal coaching. I have talked to one once and she decided that I did not needed such a service. Some people do need a personal coach and it's a totally valid option to help themselves achieve goals. However, the coach is not going to do the work for you...

I used to work for a non profit environmental organization and before starting the person in charge paid for my first Lifespring course out of his own pocket. He said it would help me become an effective individual, both with myself and others. It did. Go to the website and email me if you have further questions.
regardless of your approach, has anyone determined that cleaning results are better realized if you Zerostat the record first? I've tried it that way & it seems to work better whether I'm brushing off some stray dust or just applying a blast of canned air. Not sure about the effectiveness of pre-stat-ing (vs. not) when using a wet cleaning proceedure however.