Which budget turntable will provide me the best service?

I recently aquired a sizable collection of albums, but do not have a turntable. I have found a shop that has a used MMF-2.1 and a Vestax BDT 2000 for sale at the same price (~$230. I can screen for sound, but being new to this realm of audio I don't know what type of screening checklist I should have in mind for auditioning a turntable for structural/mechanical integrity(?). Any thoughts? Any experience with these units?
skut
At last, an enlightened soul!

The electronics technician at work changed the cables for Phoenix Gold, I bought a Sumiko HS-MMT headshell with silver Litz wires and a JA Michell record clamp. The TT sits on a marble cutting board I got at a moving sale for $15. It is supported on four adjustable brass cones with brass bases. I am using a Grado Prestige Blue as an interim cartridge ($50) and the sound is clear and detailed. No feedback. My speakers are 92dB efficient JMlab Tantal 509s powered by a Proton 50W Dual Mono beast via a Biotronics preamp w/outboard transformer and a Tice A/V Solo. Decent, to say the least...Santa Claus should bring me an Ortofon MC.

My first TT was a 1700 (I was in high school). It's so rugged my parent's house got burglarized and when the alarm sounded off the SOBs ran with the TT and tried to throw it over the fence. The stylus and dust cover were busted but the TT kept on going...

Bookner, try getting the tonearm fluid damper from www.kabusa.com/ Also, Kevin is coming soon with an outboard transformer!
I'll tell you what there are some Amazing bargins out there. I just got an old (mid 1970's) Miracord 750 with a Grado cartridge for $95. It's in great shape and everything works. It sounds wonderfull! Yeah, there is some rumble but get the music going and the music gets going. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Thorens TD-160. I picked up a new Stanton 681EE cartridge to go with it for a song. Heard this combo in 1978 and was jolted by the sweep of the music.

My point is there is some GREAT stuff out there for less (sometimes MUCH less)than a couple of hundred bucks that will serve your new collection well.

Good Luck!!
The turntable I'm currently using, a Miida 70's era model 3115 (Ac drive direct drive table) just sold for 27 bucks on Ebay a week or so ago. When it comes to turntables, don't forget ebay!!! People get rid of top dollar tables from yesteryear (and which are still very good ya know) all the time because they are just cleaning out attics and garages and assume the record players are just old useless relics

pcanis
well, if its sound youre after, go for a belt drive manual tt with a medium mass arm. the regas and music halls are great bargains and some actually come with cartridges all set up and ready to play.
if you just want to hear the records and want a durable player, the dd technics tables will serve you well.
the more refined sound you can garner from the belt drive audiophile TTs will be more rewarding of your efforts than the more rugged and easy to use dd models.
dollar for dollar, better sound with the audiophile oreinted belt drive tables.
......regards.......tr
I'd take a look at the Thorens TD-203. It has a tonearm usually found on much more expensive tables. Originally $999, but can now be had for about $579 via Rutherford Audio.